4mm ring

Why is it "totally different"? - a fan FCU or isolator is just as 'unnecessary' as is the OP's SWA.

Kind Regards, John
But a fan isolator useful.

Anyway I'm not gonna win you rewire houses in armoured and ill use twin and earth.

Sponsored Links
If he wants to use SWA for this job, why can't he just install it properly, with glands connected to the socket boxes?

I see this is creating a bit of debate!!
thank you all for your discussion.
A few comments
1. the armour that is conpletely cut back will be untouchable as its under the concrete floor and embedded in mortar at it as been chased in below the metal box..the armour as stated is approx 50mm distance from the metal socket As stated in original or secondary post, I have "As Built" diagramms for my whole property clearly showing all apparatus..which will now iclude the route underfloor, and up the lower wall....this would pass on with the property if sold.
2.Possibly the wrong cable, but as stated this came as a freebie (100m of 3 core SWA) was used for a very short term temp supply on a site I was working on.
3. Can all posters please youtube , " public broadcating service GO" listen to that song and respond to my post in that fashion please (smiley imogi)

Not wrong cable. There are loads of correct cables, whichever correct cable you use is up to you. but another's choice doesn`t make theirs "wrong" but might not be the most economical though.

Sponsored Links
I had an issue about 10 years ago, I installed trunking and local isolators in a plant room for a row of 8 pumps. I don't recall the power ratings but I used all the same size isolator and wires, it was highlighted some were oversized for the smaller pumps and required changing. The consultant would not sign off until I 'corrected' them despite trying to convince the smaller pumps were likely to be upgraded (As informed by Grundfoss). I had the last laugh though, I wrapped the isolators and carefully hid the larger wiring in the trunking, a year later I charged a fortune to upgrade when the bigger pumps were installed and the consultant had to pick up the tab.
I like it

Its the wrong "choice" of cable but it's in now so what I would do is as @sparkwright says gland the cables properly.

The glands will be plastered over, but what you gonna do.

I don't believe it's a probably having the glands plastered over - IF they are correctly installed in the first place.

I'm not sure why you may think they HAVE to be accessible. When you consider that earthed metal conduit is full of threaded joints, that gets plastered over sometimes in purpose built flats etc - I don't see any difference.

I don't envisage any danger in what the op is proposing - but to me it's a rough job.

One could certainly 'get away with it', and I don't suppose the next man would bother himself by re-doing it.

It would be a bit naughty having non-sheathed cable for 2 inches just before the box - bearing in mind the cores would only be protected by the bedding - the bedding is technically not the same as sheath, and this can be either tough as old boots, or very crumbly.

I don't believe it's a probably having the glands plastered over - IF they are correctly installed in the first place.

I'm not sure why you may think they HAVE to be accessible. When you consider that earthed metal conduit is full of threaded joints, that gets plastered over sometimes in purpose built flats etc - I don't see any difference.

I don't envisage any danger in what the op is proposing - but to me it's a rough job.

One could certainly 'get away with it', and I don't suppose the next man would bother himself by re-doing it.

It would be a bit naughty having non-sheathed cable for 2 inches just before the box - bearing in mind the cores would only be protected by the bedding - the bedding is technically not the same as sheath, and this can be either tough as old boots, or very crumbly.
When they are being used as an earth they would need to be inspected.

In this case fit glands (simple solution), you're right its rough as our soles having the bedding plastered over.

I suppose a lot depends on if the op is capable of correctly fitting a gland to SWA.

There is a bit of me that would rather the op's bodge than badly fitted inaccessible glands lurking behind the walls.

If I was him I'd get a spark in to gland the 5 sockets was it, wont take long no bodge that way.

I sound obsessed with glands I'm not really, ha ha

If I was him I'd get a spark in to gland the 5 sockets was it, wont take long no bodge that way.
I'm getting increasingly confused, particularly about some of the comments.

If my understanding is correct (maybe not?), but as the OP has recently reminded us, it seems that the armour has been 'cut back' and is now buried under concrete. If that is remotely true then:

(a) there's no point in people going on about 'glanding the SWA properly', since it appears that armour is no longer available to anyone ... and

(b) all of this discussion/argument is therefore about whether or not there is a (theoretical, but unachievable) need to earth some metal armour which happens to be surrounding a cable which is entirely embedded in concrete and which therefore will never be accessible or touchable.

In other word, in the situation the OP finds himself in, I would day that the armour is a total irrelevance.

Kind Regards, John

I'm getting increasingly confused, particularly about some of the comments.

If my understanding is correct (maybe not?), but as the OP has recently reminded us, it seems that the armour has been 'cut back' and is now buried under concrete. If that is remotely true then:

(a) there's no point in people going on about 'glanding the SWA properly', since it appears that armour is no longer available to anyone ... and

(b) all of this discussion/argument is therefore about whether or not there is a (theoretical, but unachievable) need to earth some metal armour which happens to be surrounding a cable which is entirely embedded in concrete and which therefore will never be accessible or touchable.

In other word, in the situation the OP finds himself in, I would day that the armour is a total irrelevance.

Kind Regards, John
Oh well yes if thats the case, connect the sockets screw them back do the relevant tests and dont worry about it.

But a fan isolator useful.
I am perhaps gradually coming to understand a bit of your thinking - so do I take it that you feel that 'being useful' means that something is not 'wrong', even if it is 'unnecessary' ... and what about the 3A FCU for a fan - I would personally certainly not regard that as useful - so is it perhaps 'wrong'?
Anyway I'm not gonna win you rewire houses in armoured and ill use twin and earth.
As I've said repeatedly, this discussion is nothing to do with what you or I would do. I personally would not waste time and money doing something that I regarded as unnecessary.

However (you haven't yet answered), if you or anyone else re-wires a house in T+E, would you regard it as 'wrong' if you/they put capping over cables that were going to be plastered into a wall?

Kind Regards, John

john w2... you seem to fully understand how I have done this installation....not sure if everyone else as though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back