4mm3 core swa current??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all was wondering if u can help me friend of mine has wired a supply to a shed in 4 mm 3 core swa( using 1 core as the earth ) this is on a 20 amp breaker . The run of the cable is approx 12m with 3-4 metres through a loft space and the rest clipped to a wall outside the load in the shed is approx 6 kw my friend seems to think he will need a bigger cable but another electrician has told him the 4mm saw would be fine to put on a 32 amp breaker thus solving his problems ?
Just looking for your views if you'd be so kind thanks very much for looking

Sponsored Links
The cable is laid on top of insulation going through loft space then goes outside clipped to wall then into shed ? Thanks a lot

4mm sound okay, 6kW load would require 26A minus any diversity, so I would say for loading reasons 32A MCB can be used, as the cable can handle that, the volt drop is within the permitted allowance.

Sponsored Links
Hi all was wondering if u can help me friend of mine has wired a supply to a shed in 4 mm 3 core swa( using 1 core as the earth ) this is on a 20 amp breaker . The run of the cable is approx 12m with 3-4 metres through a loft space and the rest clipped to a wall outside the load in the shed is approx 6 kw my friend seems to think he will need a bigger cable but another electrician has told him the 4mm saw would be fine to put on a 32 amp breaker thus solving his problems ?
6kw (about 26A) supplied via the 4mm² cable (on a 32A MCB) should be fine, both in terms of current-carrying capacity and voltage drop.

Kind Regards, John

Just looking for your views if you'd be so kind thanks very much for looking
hi all i am currently studying at college doing the 2330 course
Still struggling with basic cable sizing calculations though?

Just what part of your user ID do you genuinely lay claim to?

And BTW - please use English when posting here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back