5 core for cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know this is notifiable, but friend's brother is gonna do this [edit: in his house] anyway, so we might as well get it right.

Please don't advise on wiring from the CU to outlet - I know how to calculate and check all that, it's just the last bit that puzzles me.

Beko recommends the cooker be wired to the cooker connection plate in H05W-Fg 5 x 1.5mm2 cable or 3 x 4mm2 "or equivalent".:rolleyes:

Sure, it's a 9.4kW total consumption, so we could use diversity to get 20.3A requirement [based on 230V which is how I assume I should do it?] (?).

Since the cooker has only 3 terminals (L+N+CPC), I can't see why you'd bother using 5-core. To double up the L+N perhaps? Still that only gives us 20A current capacity (not sure about that figure tbh).

Wouldn't it be better just wired in a bit of 6mm T+E, even though that's not ,technically, flexible?

Surely the reference to 5 core 1.5mm2 is a typo? Would anyone here consider using something that thin (especially given the probable warm environment), even though there would be two live and two neutral cores?

Sponsored Links
Hi, I know this is notifiable, but friend's brother is gonna do this anyway, so we might as well get it right.
Not the best attitude.

Please don't advise on wiring from the CU to outlet - I know how to calculate and check all that, it's just the last bit that puzzles me.
Ok.

Beko recommends the cooker be wired to the cooker connection plate in H05W-Fg 5 x 1.5mm2 cable or 3 x 4mm2 "or equivalent".:rolleyes:
That's because it's made in Turkey and they do things differently in Europe (and Asia).

Sure, it's a 9.4kW total consumption, so we could use diversity to get 20.3A requirement [based on 230V which is how I assume I should do it?] (?).
Except the manufacturer will likely have quoted at 240V.

Since the cooker has only 3 terminals (L+N+CPC), I can't see why you'd bother using 5-core.
As above. There will probably be instructions for Britain included.

To double up the L+N perhaps?
No.

Wouldn't it be better just wired in a bit of 6mm T+E, even though that's not ,technically, flexible?
No, it isn't. You can get 6mm² flex.

Surely the reference to 5 core 1.5mm2 is a typo?
No, just foreign.

Would anyone here consider using something that thin (especially given the probable warm environment), even though there would be two live and two neutral cores?
No.

You will probably get a more helpful answer as some here don't mind helping those with no regard for the law.

5 core presumably for euro market? 3 phase + N?

If you want to get it right, don't get your friend's brother to do it.

Hi, I know this is notifiable, but friend's brother is gonna do this anyway, so we might as well get it right.

Doesn't mean that he can't do it and notify. So yes, regardless, do get it right.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for input so far. :D

'don't get your friend's brother to do it'

I would NEVER put an electric cooker in my own home, much prefer gas!
But this is going to go ahead with or without my input.

Just re-checked Beko and that W is actually a VV which is probably why I couldn't find much data on the cable.

I thought of 3 ph, but same UK instructions still have the same IOM and show 1ph 3 core terminal block.

So are we agreed doubling neutral and live cores is just ridiculous then?

And yes, thanks, I would prefer to see flexible cable used too. T+E seemed wrong here!

Never mind...the guy in the electrical shop said twin and earth is what they wire cookers in with so that's what they've gone and bought.

Annoying. :(

Thanks anyway gents.

R

Most domestic cookers get pulled out for cleaning behind so infrequently that cable flexibility isn't an issue. I've never seen flex used for a cooker (and both the cooker and the outlet plate terminals would have to be suitable for it, or use ferrules).

Commercial installations where the cooker should be cleaned behind daily would have to use a suitable flexible.

I've seen two hobs factory fitted with 5 core flex. (bosch and siemens). And yes the L & N are doubled up.

The bosch had ferrules already on (joining wires) so you couldn't get it wrong.

More flexible than 3 core I guess. Not that I would bother to try and buy some.

I know French use split phase a lot. Be it two phases of a three phase system or simply a split phase there are more than the simple single phase 230 vac used in UK.

According to this link, 5x1.5mm is 10mm diameter and 3x4mm is 11.3mm diameter. So a very slight difference in bending radius. Not really worth the hassle though.

I know French use split phase a lot
I wish we did. I've only seen one such installation in this country.

'5x1.5mm is 10mm diameter' Interesting link thanks!

True, they didn't _say_ '5-core', they said '5 x' so it could have been 5 strands of 1.5mm2, so 7.5mm2. Strange they didn't specify H07. H05-vv is only 60° cable, according to this link?

Sadly my electrical experience has largely consisted of replacing mouse-bitten cable (or finding out why the sockets in the kitchen at my mother's house (installed by the professional electrician as used by the local estate agent) had no earth (turned out he had spurred off a spur that wasn't earthed :unsure: )) so I am a bit fuzzy on flexible cable types.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back