50 metre run to outhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to run a supply from a house to an outhouse in a garden
The outhouse DB will have 5 sockets and approx 3 lights, not a lot
The run is approx 50 metres, should i run it in 10mm or can i get away with 6mm?
Also due to the escalating costs of cable is there any reason why i cannot run it in 2 core as apposed to 3
many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hard to answer without more information. There may well be 5 sockets, but what do you expect will be plugged into them?

Thanks for your reply
I was more thinking of volt drop concerns but in terms of load possibly a computer, occassional lawnmower, maybe a fridge.

Sponsored Links
Wow that Immodium is brillinat, instant results. Thats feels much better, thanks for that ban-all-sheds.
I may be a complete **** but can you help me in clarifying if 6mm 2core cable is OK for this installation.

Wow that Immodium is brillinat, instant results. Thats feels much better, thanks for that ban-all-sheds.
I may be a complete **** but can you help me in clarifying if 6mm 2core cable is OK for this installation.
What are you planning to use for an earth, please don't say the armoured sheath ?

Yes I was planning to. I get the impression from you this would be bad, forgive my ignorance but can you tell me why

:D

Would strongly advise against 2-core - if your technique isn't perfect do you really want to trust your life to the quality of your terminations?

As for volt-drop, I'm a bit alarmed by the fact that you know about it but aren't capable of working it out for yourself...

Thanks for your reply
I take your point regarding the 2 core SWA and will run it in 3 core
I will hunt down the brown/red book and do the maths on the volt drop.
Appreciate your help

also, consider what is your calculated zs at the end of the circuit.

you need to know this, no point putting a cable in only to find out that your outside BS 7671 max values

But you cannot begin to calculate volt drop without Ib....

What are you planning to use for an earth, please don't say the armoured sheath ?

If terminated correctly, what would be the problem with it?

Nothing, if terminated correctly.

Still more work for wizards-sleeve when doing his design though, as he's got to get hold of the R2 value for the armour to calculate his fault loop, and he's got to confirm that the csa of the armour is equivalent to 4mm² copper....

Chivers didn't seem to question the OP's ability to correctly terminate a SWA gland, he seemed to just dismiss the idea of using the armouring as a CPC.

It's like anything, it won't work unless it's been put together correctly in the first place.

This has an air of familiarity about it. Why dont people search for other threads on their subject - that way 95% of their questions would be already answered we dont have to keep repeating ourselves.

OK first things first:
What is your supply type
What other services etc are in the outbuilding: water pipe, maybe??
How will you terminate the cable at the house end?
Who is going to install and certify all of this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back