500w dimmer help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i'm having trouble finding a twin dimmer thats 2x500w to run 10 downlights can anyone tell me where i can find one ?

Sponsored Links
I don't think you will find one which fits a single back box.

10 downlights will be 10 x 50w = £500w TOTAL?? Or do you mean 20 downlights?

hi its 10 lights in total so 5 on each .
thanks for the link but they want a plain white face to mach the rest of the switchs an sockets

Sponsored Links
We do not have enough information to advise you.

Are your lights low voltage or extra low voltage.??

If they have transformers do they require leading or trailing edge dimmers. What is the rating of the transformers (in VA, not watts)

hi sorry this is whats connected

10 x Fire Rated Halolite GU10 Downlight 50w 230v

The one in the screwfix link will not be suitable.

You need to derate dimmers when used with a halogen load, so even a 500W dimmer will not be big enough.

You need a 2 x 1000W dimmer.

These are not manufactured.

You need to either install two 1 gang dimmers side by side, or fit a remote dimmer pack.

hi i thought that if Halolite are rated at 50w x 5 = 250w per curcuit so i would need i dimmer rated at 500w to take account of the derateing the dimmer by half

Click do a 1000w dimmer (part no. MD9100) however you will not be able to fit 2 of these on a single switch plate --- you'll need a double switch plate (2G 35mm backbox minimum)

You'll have to check the max wattage for a single plate aswell....

hi i thought that if Halolite are rated at 50w x 5 = 250w per curcuit so i would need i dimmer rated at 500w to take account of the derateing the dimmer by half

Sorry, I miss read an earlier post and thought you had 10 lights on each dimmer.

As you have 5 per switch, you could use this one:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLQP302.html

As it is a varilite iQ dimmer, you do not have to derate it when used with halogen loads.

this is rated at 2x300w i thought i needed 2x500w for 230v Halolite

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back