50cc bike for a 16year old?

Go for the Yamaha, even if the Benelli survives longbenough to sell it the resale value will be through the floor!.

The Yamaha will hold it's value much much better..

Sponsored Links
I remember my bike test - the examiners didn't even have a motorbike! They used to send you off to drive round the block and literally jumped into the road in front of you for the emergency stop - crazy with the brakes* we had on our crappy learner bikes in those days.

*At the mot place the guy wrapped a steel cable round your front forks and wound a winch type spring thing attached to a gauge while you sat on the bike and pulled the front brake. If your brake wasn't great you just put the back one on at the same time!

I remember my bike test - the examiners didn't even have a motorbike! They used to send you off to drive round the block and literally jumped into the road in front of you for the emergency stop - crazy with the brakes* we had on our crappy learner bikes in those days.

Yes, my bike test in 1985 was the same - mostly just going around the block while he wandered around the block too. I always thought you had to be unlucky to make a mistake while you were in view of the examiner.

And suddenly jumping out in the road for the emergency stop is all very well, as long as it's not someone else on a bike who just happened to be passing. As was the case in this excerpt of an episode of Some Mother Do Have 'Em

I had the joys of riding to Leeds, finding the Testing Station and riding on roads I'd never seen before on radio instructions from the examiner!.

Nearly as bad as my 1 1/2 hour B+E test at 39 years old..

Sponsored Links
On my test the CB 500 I was riding could easily outrun the BMW RT 80 that the examiner had.

I thought it was like a ferrari the first ride.

Price up clocks and side panel and go from there.

Doesn't look to bad in the pics so worth a look.

Only downside is it's on the "hit list" so resale value will suffer a bit..

No mileage reading and wont have been MOT'd - that list of items is more than a grand, which is why its being ditched on eBay. Plus you'll lose 20% of the value when its time to sell.

I'd avoid a first bike with ABS (it can be a bit sh*te). Looking at the sell prices of the non-ABS version, I reckon keep looking - they are going for £1,800-2,300. that bike could have spend hours pulling wheelies and being bounced off the Rev limiter.

Last edited:
I’m actually off to look at a stolen recovered Honda MSX125, the Grom he wanted originally. It’s more intact, no clock damage, the only faults are no indicators and no V5 but full receipt given and it’s much cheaper. Not much different to what he will get for his pit bike.

He’s starting mechanical and electrical engineering at college this week so might keep him interested.

The place to get stolen/recovered is at the auction. The ones that you get access to are those there is no profit in. Seriously - you'll find a mint bike somewhere that some commuter bought to ride to work instead of taking the bus only to find they don't like getting wet or can't ride round corners.

But if you are looking:

check
- play in the headset (sign of wheelies)
- plenty of chicken strips and no blistering on the tyres (sign of ragging)
- it starts and ticks over nicely.
- it will go in and out of each gear nicely
- look down the forks to check they are even and. not bent.
- look for dents in the frame
- check the chain adjustment is even and there is plenty left
- plenty of back brake pad left.

Would anyone take a chance on something like this that’s just a couple of miles from me:

Yamaha MT 125 ABS 2016 (66) DAMAGED REPAIRABLE https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/173504387209

Wondering if Jamie could repair that himself ready for his 17th.

I don't know how the new categories will affect the resale values but I always worked on Cat D being worth at least 25% less.

A 'brief' glance at autotrader tells me that this bike is very roughly approx £1k cheaper than a good one at dealer prices. I'm not going to look at dealer parts prices but if you repaired that with new genuine Yamaha parts I guarantee you'll be the loser.

If you can source the parts off eBay or an owners forum & you know what you're doing then it might be economical to tackle it.

I would STRONGLY urge you to walk away from damaged repairables & with the greatest of respect point out that you really do need to know what you're doing. You will not be saving money or making money & it might end up costing you more this way than simply buying a good one.

He's 17 & yes he will want street 'cred. Spend £1k ish on a good, serviceable Jap 125 & if you buy well you can sell it on for the same money after 1 or 2yrs.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I bought the Honda and we fixed it together and it’s on the road now. I’m going to use it and give it back to him on his 17th. He’s up in the shed changing the air filter on it now.

I went out in it yesterday and it was great :)

2E5E6989-E0D7-4D46-B351-C4B4B490FEA8.jpeg

BA554035-B691-4253-A80F-01CDD8E38560.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back