50cc bike for a 16year old?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son is 16 today and we have got him a certificate for his CBT test.

For the last few years he has been riding one of these around my sisters farm so he is confident on a bike:
http://www.wpbracing.co.uk/wpb-125cc-crf70

That’s been great and now he will be looking for a road going 50cc bike (rather than a scooter) to get around on so we are starting to look.

He likes the Honda Grom 125cc and I found a copy of it in a 50cc:
https://www.wkbikes.com/50cc-motorbike-colt-50.html

A mate of mine had a WK bike for a couple of years and it was ok, it had a small oil leak and didn’t start once but otherwise reliable.

Can anyone give any 50cc advice? I’m wondering wether to avoid Chinese and get an older Japanese bike. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've not bought or used a 'bike for years but have observed the neighbours recent trials and tribulations of small 'bikes.
He had a new Chinese bike, survived just over warranty period 12 months (and less than 10K miles). Once things started going wrong lots did; cooling system, brake 'discs' and pads (discs rusted and that abraded the pads), ignition failures, terrifyingly - a wheel rim failed when being ridden. That was replaced with a 4 year old Honda, similar capacity, with <20K miles and new MOT. He's had that 'bike 3 years (he kept on failing the driving 'test). Only had to replace tyres apart from normal maintenance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
So what shall I type into e-bay?

Honda, Yamaha, aplrilia, Kawasaki ? Any others?

Hazard, if you don't mind me asking how old are you? I thought you were 25-30

I know nothing about bikes but if safety is a concern and reliability you cannot go wrong buying a Japanese vehicle. My new BMW turbo went, the VW exhaust fell off, the Audi was surprisingly reliable, the Range Rover had more leaks than a sieve. The Lexus was bullet proof but boring. Japanese cars are reliable but boring.

I second the old Honda 50's, I had one in the 1970's utterly bomb proof, left it out in the snow one winter, the snow covered the entire bike, when it thawed two weeks later it started first time, never did any maintenance on it, it just wouldn't break, incredible bike.

I honestly wouldn't get my kid a 50cc moped. No matter how good a rider he might be.

- They are restricted to 30mph, so basically everyone is looking to overtake them.
- They don't have enough power for the rider to learn about how to ride properly (i.e. the need to slow down, change down etc on bends)
- They can't power out of trouble or take a dominant position on the road.
- They have all the risks of a bicycle but none of the advantages (e.g. cycle lanes).

A 125 and for him to take his full test, next year makes a lot more sense - look at the data (a few years old)
https://www.iamroadsmart.com/docs/default-source/research-reports/iam-motorcycling-facts-2009.pdf

However the Mash Roadstar 50cc basically looks like a mini Triumph Bonnie and there are plenty around.

Sponsored Links
Back