50s stairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house was built in the 50s with stairs as per the pictures, the gap beneath the handrails being clad in hardboard from new. What would you do with it?

We're having traditional newel posts and spindles fitted, but its proving to be a headache for the chippy. We are going to have to have a bit of remedial work done by the plasterer on the corners. Anybody tackled anything like this before?

I think we've solved all the issues, but i have just been thinking about it, and the wall beneath the stairs may be a problem. It is flush with the hardboard cladding now. But this is on a framework which sits on the edge of the string. The wall will stick out further than the string once the cladding is gone. Argh! Wall may have to go.

20161010_153804.jpg 20161010_153815.jpg 20161011_171933.jpg 20161011_175632.jpg

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I've now uncovered the string front and its peppered with nails into the steps and nail holes (from the framework thats there now which is fixed together with 4-6 inch nails), so I'm thinking of boxing it out and having the plasterer board the wall and string in one piece to prevent cracking, then have the bottom track span the string and the framework with a bit of extra moulding if necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back