6 panel doors that won't warp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Newbie question.
What's the cheapest way to buy a 6 panel internal door (solid wood) with no knots and that won't warp? (Will be painted.)
People like B&Q do Premdoors but doesn't say what kind of wood it is, I imagine some composite. Are they any good ... or do I go to a timber merchant ? What should I ask for.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
The panels within the door should be slotted so that they can freely move, if they are restrained they can incur warp. What they are made of doesn't matter too much.

The frame members themselves should be good straight grained timber, or engineered timber which will be less likely to cause the door to twist.

You could write a book on the subject though.

So much depends upon the quality of manufacture and storage prior to installation. Ensure any instructions are followed to the letter, if anything goes wrong they will scour for reasons why it is your fault.

+1......choose the door carefully and hang it straight away.
(I bought 4 once.....clamped them together onto a bench until I was ready. They all warped like a banana. :eek:
John :)

+1......choose the door carefully and hang it straight away.
(I bought 4 once.....clamped them together onto a bench until I was ready. They all warped like a banana. :eek:
John :)
You do have to choose it correctly but hanging it with two hinges one side and a latch the other straight away, wont stop it warping anymore than you storing them strapped flat to a bench for a while and then hanging. In fact the latter helps if the wood needs to acclimatize to the room its going in, but then that has to be done in that same room. If the doors relative moisture content is higher than the room its going in, and with the central heating, it will warp as it dries out. Best is to make sure it comes from a reputable supplier who can guarantee a moisture content around 12-14%, good luck there, and importantly stored flat prior to purchase. Paint or stain both sides, don't just do one side and leave the other for later, that will cause it to bow.

Sponsored Links
The panels within the door should be slotted so that they can freely move, if they are restrained they can incur warp. What they are made of doesn't matter too much.

The frame members themselves should be good straight grained timber, or engineered timber which will be less likely to cause the door to twist.

You could write a book on the subject though.

So much depends upon the quality of manufacture and storage prior to installation. Ensure any instructions are followed to the letter, if anything goes wrong they will scour for reasons why it is your fault.
I second all of the above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back