60's built bungalow - state of electrics?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking of buying a bungalow built in the 1960's [possibly in 1960] - just one bedroom, bathroom, lounge/diner, kitchen.
What can I expect to have to do? The sockets and switches look dated and there aren't many of them!
Would it be a rewire job? [to be safe] new consumer unit? - and rough estimate on price?
[Cant get hold of an electrician and would like to be a little informed before I discuss it/take him up there.]
Thanks

Sponsored Links
If the electrics have not been updated since the property was built then a rewire is likely to be the most sensible option, especially considering you mention the need for more sockets and the like.

We can't quote for what we can't see, and prices do of course vary by location, but for such a small property it would be highly unlikely the cost will be any more than £2000, and likely much less, especially as it's a bungalow and there will be no need to take the floor up.

especially as it's a bungalow and there will be no need to take the floor up.

Why ?

If there is a wooden flooring that's likely to be easier than chasing drops from loft void or horizontal chasing in room ;)

2 rings- general and kitchen, 2 lighting circuits (just to stop all lights failing), shower circuit (if required), cooker circuit (if required).

Add in BT / Cat 5 - Broadband networj and TV points,

especially as it's a bungalow and there will be no need to take the floor up.

Why ?

If there is a wooden flooring that's likely to be easier than chasing drops from loft void or horizontal chasing in room ;)

2 rings- general and kitchen, 2 lighting circuits (just to stop all lights failing), shower circuit (if required), cooker circuit (if required).

Add in BT / Cat 5 - Broadband networj and TV points,

Just a guess, but I think he meant no upstairs floor to take up.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking of buying a bungalow built in the 1960's [possibly in 1960] - just one bedroom, bathroom, lounge/diner, kitchen.
What can I expect to have to do? The sockets and switches look dated and there aren't many of them!
Would it be a rewire job? [to be safe] new consumer unit? - and rough estimate on price?
[Cant get hold of an electrician and would like to be a little informed before I discuss it/take him up there.]
Thanks

Tho the wiring will probably be pvc rather than eg rubber, a re-wire still would probably be the sensible answer. Assuming it is a totally original install, you could expect to find some of the following;-

green slime emerging from cables

no earth in lighting circuit/switch drops

bedroom lights not in centre of room

wooden switch boxes

no rcd protection

out of date fuse box

no 10 mm earth cable to gas and water etc

not enough sockets

cables in cavities

junction boxes under the floor

no earth sleeving

only one socket circuit

only one lighting circuit

Makes sense to re-new any defects before redecoration.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back