Existing shed electrics

Sponsored Links
I think you are most probably right but given I thought I'd already asked for that and got someone who said he could... I then handed the certificate to building control who told me it wasn't suitable because he's not Part P certified I challenged him and he said... well I used to be but it's expensive...

So how do I stop that from happening again?

Is there a register I can check somewhere?

Sponsored Links
Of course it does, just as it signifies competence to design, install, and certify electrical installations.
No, it does not.

Experience and knowledge are requirements for competent EICRs.

I believe some schemes charge more for unnecessary EICR registration, therefore, the basic registration obviously does not cover it.

That you think basic registration signifies competence to carry out EICRs is surely a leap of faith and change of heart given the general view of scheme inspection.

I then handed the certificate to building control who told me it wasn't suitable because he's not Part P certified I challenged him and he said... well I used to be but it's expensive...
As an aside, this is a problem which more and more LABCs will face, when insisting on registered electricians as a short-cut to verifying competence. The amount of work which requires notification was dramatically reduced (in England) a few years ago, so it makes less financial sense for electricians to be registered for that reaon. And the general benefits of being registered are less tangible.

Is there a register I can check somewhere?
There used to be one.

Now there is more than one as a result of competitive tussles between different scheme organisers.

Apparently this better helps the consumer.

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

http://www.electricalcompetentperson.co.uk/ (only shows NICEIC & ECA members)

https://www.napit.org.uk/member-search.aspx

https://www.stroma.com/certification/find-a-member/

No, it does not.
Read what I wrote again - this time pay closer attention to the fifth and sixth words.

Experience and knowledge are requirements for competent EICRs.
Experience and knowledge are requirements for competent installation design, construction and certification.

I believe some schemes charge more for unnecessary EICR registration, therefore, the basic registration obviously does not cover it.
If it's unnecessary then it's just a money making idea, not extended checks on competence.

That you think basic registration signifies competence to carry out EICRs is surely a leap of faith and change of heart given the general view of scheme inspection.
That you think basic registration signifies competence to carry out installation design, construction and certification is surely a leap of faith and change of heart given the general view of scheme inspection.

Ok. I did not realise you were being sarcastic.

If it is such veiled sarcasm that I miss it, I feel it will be far too cryptic for others. :)

It wasn't sarcasm - I was just pointing out that relying on competence being assured by scheme membership is what they do, and that assurance is just as good, or just as bad, for EICRs as it is design and construction etc.

We cannot fight the battle that Building Control should not accept that registered electricians are necessarily competent to carry out EICRs by virtue of their registration any more than we can fight the one that they should not accept that they are likewise necessarily competent to carry out installation design, construction and certification.

Someone mentioned to me it should have its own earthing rod because of the distance from the house.
Don't listen to that someone - they have nothing correct to tell you.

I read something that said using a small consumer unit with RCD in a shed off a spur would make it less safe than it just running as a spur from the house.
Where did you read that?

Is it potentially safe for this SWA spur to be connected to a small consumer unit in the shed? (Someone else on here said that would make it less safe which to me seemed strange but a little knowledge and all that!)
Can you post a link to where they said that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back