63A 3-phase 6 pin plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This plug has the usual L1, L2, L3, +N +E, but also has a smaller pin in the middle marked Pilot.
Does anyone know how it is supposed to be wired up and also what cable do you use?

Inside3PNEPilot.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Have you got a 6 pin socket to plug it into?

If so, does it have all 6 terminals connected?

Do you have something on the other end of the cable that needs 6 conductors?

The pilot pin is used to control a contactor so that the plug cannot be removed from the outlet with a load present. The pin is a lot shorter than the others so always mates last/disconnects first.

I can't remember how it was wired (over 10 years ago since I last saw one) but it was more of an idiot-proof feature than a requirement

Sponsored Links
It is also commonly used to monitor the earth.

A 24v control voltage is sent down the pilot wire to the far end of the run where it is then connected to earth.

This pilot earth is what pulls in the contactor to power the socket outlet.

If the earth fails, or the lead is unplugged, the contactor drops out.

Only seen on 63amp and above.

A 24v control voltage is sent down the pilot wire to the far end of the run where it is then connected to earth.

Ah, so we had naughty cables then - 125A Ceeform one end and Camlocks the other, the pilot must have been linked directly to earth inside the plug!!!

Camlocks? You don't want to know...

You got my curiosity all juiced up.

I found this.....

Electrical cable connector with cam lock

United States Patent 4190222

Abstract:An electrical cable connector for use in a knockout opening of an electrical box or the like includes a cam element with a slot therein arranged to receive the tip of a screwdriver transverse of its rotational axis so as to permit the application of a significant torque on the cam with a minimal force to thereby securely wedge the cable in the connector body and prevent its removal. This connector features a tubular body with an enlarged inner end to permit its installation into a knockout opening from the inside of the box, an integrally molded pressure pad opposite the cam element to permit the connector to accommodate several sizes of cable, and snap locks designed to defeatably hold the cam element selectively either in its open or its locked positions.

Does that cover it?? :LOL:

The row of colour-coded sockets at the bottom are camlocks

Male and female panel mount and male and female cable mount - very similar to connectors on welding kit.

Yes, you can connect them any which way you like (phase into earth and so on) and poke your fingers in the live bits. Thankfully they have been replaced by Powerlok connectors which are touchproof and polarised.

The picture shows the old colours, I'm sure you can imagine what happened when harmonised colours were introduced...

luminaire wrote

I tried RS Components as it had their part no on the side, but the one they recommended only had 5-pins (i.e. no pilot pin).

Are you sure?, i come across these plugs and sockets often (with nothing done with the pilot pin though) and as far as i remember the sockets come with the pilot pin in them. i think this is true of the 4 pin (3p + e) ones too. i will check this out tomorrow as we have a few of these sockets scattered about (the 3pne ones) our workshops.

have looked at the rs website for the socket you require and it doesnt show the pilot pin on the ceeform diagram although im sure its there , just not on the diagram.

luminaire wrote

I tried RS Components as it had their part no on the side, but the one they recommended only had 5-pins (i.e. no pilot pin).

Are you sure?, i come across these plugs and sockets often (with nothing done with the pilot pin though) and as far as i remember the sockets come with the pilot pin in them. i think this is true of the 4 pin (3p + e) ones too. i will check this out tomorrow as we have a few of these sockets scattered about (the 3pne ones) our workshops.

have looked at the rs website for the socket you require and it doesnt show the pilot pin on the ceeform diagram although im sure its there , just not on the diagram.

Yeah, the ones they quoted were 313-1804 (not 236-0433, which has now been superceded) and they don't have the centre pin.

oh ok, probably the ones we have at our factory are the old type then.

a different manufacturer might still do the centre pin? gweiss or walther maybe.

failing that it looks like your changing the plug aswell to a new type without the pilot.

you ask what cable to use in your first post? that depends i suppose on what the appliance is?? we have lots of appliances with plugs like these on that use SY flex (the stuff thats got a light armouring, but im sure you new that).

I installed a 63A SP socket with a pilot pin on it not so long back, so they are still available, but I can't for the life of me remember what make it was. :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back