6mm t&e in close proximity to each other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've run some cables through a wooden joist but quite a small hole so the cables are very close to each other at this point.

Is this going to give me temperature issues when I want them connecting upto a shower, the water tank and an oven?

The oven is single electric oven and came with a plug.
The shower is hot and cold supply.
Water tank is ???

Oven cable is about 10 metres and the other two are around 6 metres.

Access to the joist is difficult without making more holes in the ceiling, thus the desire to run the cables through an existing hole. If it's safe.

Currently the shower and water tank are run off the mains circuit and you can hear the shower pitch change when the kettle is turned on. So we don't do that anymore.

Thanks, Kristian

Sponsored Links
Not a problem provided the cables are not damaged in any way.

If there was any additional heating as result of them being close together in the hole then that heat would be conducted along the copper and disspated.

The water tank (and oven if above 2kw) should be its own circuit as it runs for 20+ minutes at a time, but the shower certainly won't need to be. The kettle is a high power item but only for a short time, and your socket circuit is probably rated for 32A anyway.
Just wire the immersion heater up on its own circuit with 2.5mm2 cable and a 20A MCB and leave the shower as it is. Same goes for the oven if it's over 2kw, if not no need to change it.
PS don't worry about the change in noise from appliances when the kettle's on, that's normal. Although an electrician can always check your wiring (you can even get a periodic inspection done where they'll test all your wiring) if you're really worried

The water tank (and oven if above 2kw) should be its own circuit as it runs for 20+ minutes at a time, but the shower certainly won't need to be. The kettle is a high power item but only for a short time, and your socket circuit is probably rated for 32A anyway.

So where did you dream up this regulation? The oven comes with a plug for goodness sake so it is intended to be plugged in to an existing circuit.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your polite reply... Actually I overlooked the fact it comes with a plug, I thought it was a fixed oven. Anyway my point is he doesn't need so many circuits, so just no need to worry about the noise changing when the kettle is on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back