6mm twin earth cable for a 4m spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have about 6m of 6mm mains cable that I would like to use to move a double socket spur to the other side of the room, which would be about 4m. The existing socket is right next to the primary socket. I know 6mm is higher rated than is needed but would there be any problem with using it? I don't want to buy a whole reel of 4mm for such a small job.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
It'll be a bit awkward to terminate but nothing wrong with using 6mm².

If your primary socket is on a ring or radial circuit then you can just use 2.5mm² for one double socket spur.

Ron, what route will the cable then take? Will it be compliant with the rules for concealed cables?

Is there an RCD on the circuit?

If the socket that's the origin for the spur is on a ring final, it will have two 2.5mm² conductors in the terminals already, and I don't think you'll get a 6mm² in there as well?

Sponsored Links
Go to Wilko or a traditional ironmongers and buy the correct cable by the metre.

You'll know it makes sense when you're struggling getting that 6mm2 cable terminated...

Some good points there. It will run behind the skirting board but I can see I would struggle to get the 6mm in with the other 2. Better re-think this eh?

Thanks everyone for the input. I have got new 4mm cable to do the job 6mm would as you said cause problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back