700mm worktop depth, 570mm depth cabinets, how to fit cabinet? Add planed wood to back?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All

We have a 700mm worktop deopth (2.4m length) on order, idea is we get an extra 10cm at the back to put stuff behind sink ect.

If the base units are standard depth (wickes), so 570mm, and there is a 20mm overhand at the front, that is 590mm... which then means we end up with c110mm at the back gap.

This might be obvious but would I just buy some planed wood to run along the side/ bottom and top of the back of the base units that is 110mm wide, and then attach that to the wall?

Sponsored Links
Well you don't need planed timber. If it was me I'd obtain some 4x2 sawn and treated timber. Do you need to run it the full length of the run? Maybe, maybe not depends on how straight the wall is. Certainly needs to be behind all the fixing points. I'd suggest you only need to have the timber at the top and then make sure the cabinets are upright.
The 4x2 (imperial measurements are closer to the size you want and easier to ask for in a woodyard) needs to fixed so the 4inch side is horizontal. Fix to the wall by drilling through the (2inch) centre line on the high spots of the walls using 150 or 180mm screws, minimum of three fixings ideally more.

Sounds like I was not far off, maybe bit overkill the thickness of the wood. There will be a heavy belfast sink there, definitely want to support around the back of that.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back