777 down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
statistically you stand more chance of dying from being hit by a piece of Neptune than in one of these aircraft.

if God would have wanted us to fly, he would have given us tickets. :LOL:

Well I agree with all that, but I wouldnt have said that it was a bad landing, I'd say it was a fantastic landing of an aircraft with no power, the pilots are brillient, if both engines just packed in, it suggests that maybe it's connected to onboard computers, I Know its daft to speculate but (we do) I would be not happy to get on a 777 until its sorted.

I would be not happy to get on a 777 until its sorted.

But what would you rather fly on? The first 777 was delivered to an airline in 1995 and until now there has never been a loss of one of these aircraft. Even with the accident at Heathrow it still has an enviable safety record.

Until the evidence is gathered and the investigation is completed, we can only speculate as to the cause.

Sponsored Links
Isn't it true that no modern aircraft has ever lost both engines at one?

At the Kegworth (East Mid) crash they switched off the good engine and tried to fly with the bad one.

Who reckons that at lead one person in the flight crew said "Any landing you can walk away from is a good landing"

The other notable one was the Airbus (at the Paris airshow I think) where both engines failed to respond and it crashed into the woods.

Pilot was blamed for this but Jury's still out across the industry even today ... Lots of money was at stake if the outcome was aircraft-related so pilot error seemed to make sense ;)

To be fair, though, more incidents result from human error (aircrew and groundcrew) than aircraft design and reliability.

Still by far the safest way to travel statistically however ;)

And, on my package holiday, I would sooner be in a 777 at 30,000 feet than in the back of a coach driven by an 80 year old Greek bus driver along the Greek hill roads :LOL:

MW

RichardP Wrote:
If both engines just packed in, it suggests that maybe it's connected to onboard computers.
Not really Richard. All critical aircraft systems are designed with at least triplex redundancy many are quadruplex and all fail into a safe environment. In the case of engines, if all control logic was lost they would generally stay at the power set.

The chance of losing all control logic to both engines simultaneously is miniscule.

Or flown into volcanic ash ....
:rolleyes:

Cpt Eric Moody wasn't it? Over Indonesia?

There was a 747 cargo over the north Atlantic many years ago that lost all four due to dust (?) and managed to restart some of them by diving. Achieved enough power to stay airborne long enough to reach a safe landing. As I recall the four engines were write offs

They did a 'Seconds from Disaster' on Discovery about the Eric Moody incident. Apparently it didn't show on radar as the radar picks up water droplets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back