800mm shower door gap now too small

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been a pillock ! I measured up for a shower door and bought a 800mm kudos curved one. Then tiled the shower area and now find that the door will not fit. The tiles have taken the opening down to about 700 mm. I'm assuming that the only way to fix this is to remove the tiles from one side and then fit the door and tile up to the door surround.

Not quite sure how I got into this as its an existing opening and was previously tiled. I'm assuming that the original shower door was 800mm, but thats long gone so I cant check.

Wife's not very happy as this should have been done some time ago...but I lost interest. Yep I know I should have got a qualified tiler in but, as they say, we are where we are.

Any alternative suggestions welcomed.

thanks.

Sponsored Links
Youve lost a 100mm,how thick are the tiles??With normal tile you would lose 15mm each side max.Did you over board before tiling??

Thanks for your reply. The 800mm base was quite a tight fit into the existing gap. I then tiled so that the tiles dropped onto the edge of the base just slightly overlapping. The tiles are about 8mm thick so with the adhesive say 20mm tops. On remeasuring I find that the actual gap is about 770mm, rather than the 700mm I originally stated. I also remember that I, mistakenly, added a little extra adhesive on the higher tiles because the wall ran out slightly. I think I have two options, a) to try and cut a channel (using an angle grinder) to drop the one side of the shower door into or b) to remove the tiles from one side, fit the door then tile up to the door surround. My wife suggested I get a smaller door (700mm) but than it would not fit the curved base that I installed, which whilst not impossible to change would require a great deal of work.

Thanks again Al

You generally get ajustment in a shower door,there are some that will fit 760mm with 20mm ajustment either way so this should fit.
It depends on the curve of your base.

Sponsored Links
Seems I'm more of a pillock than I thought!

After waiting a year (since Oct 2011, and kicking the door each time I went past) I got someone in..... Yes! I know I should have done this in the first place (my wife keeps reminding me).
He took one look and said you are trying to fit the extenders which are not required.!!!!!!!

He fitted the door in about an hour and came back the next day to silicon where required.

I never should have read the instructions..which I did about 50 times to no avail...Agghhhh

I,m not allowed to start any new projects without complete plans and approval from her indoors..

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Thanks for posting! You made my day! Sorry mate, but I can't stop laughing.

PMSL, but look on the bright side you can't buy a smaller door than 800mm to fit a quadrant tray

I think this could qualify for the DIY Disasters forum!!

I can see how you made that mistake, once you convince yourself you have messed something up, it can be hard to 'take a step back and look at the bigger picture' !!!!

Its probably more of a disaster than you guys think...

I retired in 2007 and this was one of the projects I set myself..I actually started the project in Jan 2008 by ripping out the old bathroom. I think I thought this through at this point so that when I ripped out the bath we stilla had a shower and visa versa. I took out all the old (20 years or so) timber board flooring and whilst it was out I replaced all the plumbing and included two new towel rail radiators. I then put real floorboards down. I replaced the bath and put the taps for the bath into the wall rather than on the bath. I then tiled the whole room top to bottom, except for a skirting board. Next I replaced the central light with downlighters (I bought the wrong ones and had to replace them for bathroom rated type). I then replaced the Shower tray and plumbing...hmm one of the cold water connections was not quite tight enough, although it seemed ok at the time, and the resultant water cascade brought down part of the garage ceiling!!

After fixing this (leak) I attempted to fit the shower door when things really started to fall apart..hence the original email.

So I decided to get on with the floor tiling, I fitted underfloor heating and then tiled the floor. No problems.

I then got in the guy to sort the door and whilst he was at it fit the skirting boards, I'd had a couple of goes at this but even with a proper angle gauge and saw never could get t right.

He also refitted the toilet so it did not rock when you sat on it.
He then siliconed all round so we now have, save for me fitting an extractor fan (when approved by her indoors) and shelves back in the cupboard..oo and a new bathroom door.

I've upload a few images to show the (almost) final result.

Al

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back