Fitting a shower screen on or near tiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An extension which is being built for me includes an ensuite shower room. It is a semi-wet room - a walk-in tiled-over shower tray separated from the rest of the room by a fixed glass shower screen. The shower area is fully tiled, and outside that "wet" area the walls (plaster on blockwork) are being painted.

The plans show a clear shower width of 800mm, and we don't want anything less; the builder said that the tiling must extend beyond this for the screen to be properly fitted. However he omitted to tell that to the tiler, and so the tiles come to a stop at exactly 800mm width.

The builder now claims that this will be OK, and that the screen can be mounted on the plastered wall and the joint sealed. Is there any way of doing this in a way that will be 100% satisfactory, or should I insist on the tiling being extended?

Many thanks,
Alec.

Sponsored Links
It would depend on the mounting for the screen I would think. Is there some kind of frame or not? If it is framed then I would think it could be fitted to the wall and a bead of sealant run down the inner edge over the tiles?

That's a good point. There is a channel into which the glass fits - but what about sealing this channel against the plaster?
Alec

A bead of sealant applied to the channel before it's fixed to the wall will be fine.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but what if that sealant starts to lift in the distant future? If it had been fitted on to tiles, the leak wouldn't be a problem - on to plaster surely it would soak and spread? I imagine that's the reason for the usual advice to fit the channel on to a tiled surface.

As far as I can see the only sealant exposed to water will be the bead down the inside edge of the channel over the tiles, which could be replaced at any time. Water should never get anywhere near the back of the channel.

That's a good point. I will butt the channel right against the side of the tiles, and make sure there's a good bed and bead of sealant. Thanks kb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back