9448 alarm problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have a issue setting the alarm.. when I key in the code it flashes any open zones (as it would) but also flashes the anti-tamper?.... I've linked it out and it still does it... so when the alarm sets, it instantly goes off on the internal sounder?.. any ideas... I disconected the battery and put a meter on it and it said 12.8 volts I think (not sure on the amps).....
any thoughts?... I did think a few weeks back that the tamper had stopped working as I have my garage doors set on that with a manual over-ride switch and it didn't appear to work>..... Cheers

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the bell tamper return (TR)?

12.8V on the battery is a bit low - it should be nearer 13.8. What's the charging voltage (on the spade terminals, when the battery is disconnected)? If the battery is old, replace it!

I don't understand the garage door thing... :confused:

A healthy battery.

Voltage is NO indication that there is any capacity available, in the same way
that fumes smelt in your car fuel tank is NO indication that petrol exists!

cheers guy's.. will check... I've put my motorbike battery on charge last night so I can use that and see if it works. Batteries do appear to cause all sort of issues?

What am I checking on the RT?.....

The garage door thing... Mmmmm.. well I guess its me being a bit lazy... there is a wire runs close so I tapped into that.. .but I also want it to work when the alarms not set... hence putting it on the tamper :)

Sponsored Links
okay.. update if anyone can help?... 13.99v on the charge .. 13.66v on the battery... connect my motorbike battery its still does the same (tamper lite on when setting) even with the tamper linked out...
also tried a system re-set and it wont do it?....
is the thing fubared??....

Did you leave the wires in when you linked it out ? ....have you also linked out the bell tamper ? 0v to TR ?

Hi. Yes, wires left in....
And I've not done the bell trigger. How does this work and what's it prove? 😃

You also get tampers from the bell. The TR wire is held to 0V by the bell - or, should be... You can link TR to 0V to override this, too. Obviously, it would be better to check it with a meter and get the ladders out for the bell but linking it out will prove a point! ;)

If you have left the tamper wires IN and you have a short to + as the tamper loop is a - loop you it MAY still show tamper !

ok... will do both tonight as see if it improves things... I'm guessing I can just take the TR out also instead of going 0v?

No - you must connect TR to 0V. You should leave the existing wires in as, if you remove power from the bell, it will sound. Don't connect +12 to TR, especially if you've got 0V connected to it!! :evil:

Ok. So 0v to TR solves the problem.. Anti tamper back in and it works perfect.. So the problems in the box.
Its fair to say its 20 year old so could be rusted up.. Or is it just a battery.
Anyway thanks for help so far😊

So it's a bell tamper... It could be that the bell cover is loose or the bell is loose on the wall, a knackered tamper switch, corroded connections/pcb in the bell, dead battery in the bell or the mice have eaten the cable in the loft! :LOL:

If the bell is working okay and you don't fancy getting the ladders out until the weather warms up, you could leave the link in place pro tem...

Yes, all working fine but will have a look this weekend. If it could be a battery issue, it probably is as its years old. Bet you cant get the bits now like pcbs etc? Looks like you have to buy the full box but they appear to be £30 or so all in.... I'll get one with a back light.
TBH id like to update the system but don't think you can get a remote pad for the unit I have... Only the plus version.
I've never set it up right so will have a look se what's needs.

Anyway, back to the existing issue, if I get a new box are the wire connections the same?

Many thanks for your help 😊

If you have a separate keypad, old style then replacing with a new unit will require a replacement keypad aswell as the leds wont marry up properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back