96W TV, 10amp fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I was fitting a new Sony LED TV for a friend. The process involved cutting the molded plug off. I couldn't find a 3 amp fuse so i decided to take the fuse out of the original plug only to discover that it was 10 amps.

Why does a 96W TV need a 10 amp fuse?

Tnx

Sponsored Links
You have to check with the instruction book whether 10A is the correct size.

If in doubt, ring Sony themselves.

It might be that a 3 amp fuse could be blown by the in-rush current when the TV is switched on.

It's nothing to do with the TV. It will have fuses inside where/if necessary.

The fuse protects the cable and long as the cable is rated at more than 10A then it is alright.

Sponsored Links
It's nothing to do with the TV. It will have fuses inside where/if necessary.

The fuse protects the cable and long as the cable is rated at more than 10A then it is alright.

I hadn't looked at it that way

Thanks

I guess that I had assumed that ideally one would want the most accessible fuse to be the one that blows.

I have come across this apparent anomaly with laptop power supplies. The charger end of the mains lead is a cloverleaf socket rated at 2.5A, the cable itself is 0.75mm and the fuse in the plug is 10A. Logic dictates that if the cloverleaf is rated at only 2.5A, then surely the plug fuse should be 3A? It seems many of the PC manufacturers are equally "guilty"; laptop owners, check out your fuses.

Was the tv supplied via an IEC lead? Many manufacturers uas these so they can just chuck in an IEC cable with the appropriate plug on for which ever country they are selling the product to.

I have come across this apparent anomaly with laptop power supplies. The charger end of the mains lead is a cloverleaf socket rated at 2.5A, the cable itself is 0.75mm and the fuse in the plug is 10A. Logic dictates that if the cloverleaf is rated at only 2.5A, then surely the plug fuse should be 3A? It seems many of the PC manufacturers are equally "guilty"; laptop owners, check out your fuses.

wouldnt logic suggest a 2a fuse?

The iec cables are rated at 10a, hence the 10a fuses. if a fuse goes internally, its usually game over for the appliance anyway these days, just changing the fuse isnt likely to work, components probably need swapping too

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back