A bit more on the Heathrow crash.

Sponsored Links
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7208126.stm
The BBC has misinterpreted the AAIB report.

The AAIB said:
Recorded data indicates that an adequate fuel quantity was on board the aircraft and that the autothrottle and engine control commands were performing as expected prior to, and after, the reduction in thrust.
I interpret this as meaning that the FDR data shows that the correct commands were issued, and at the correct time; nothing more than that. It doesn't mean that the commands reached the engines, or that the engines received the commands, or that the commands were processed. All we know (at the moment) is that the engines did not do the expected thing. [cf Dark Star ;) ].

The BBC reported that the AAIB said:
"Recorded data shows the aircraft had enough fuel and its automatic throttle and engine control systems had worked as expected, the AAIB said."
But the AAIB actually said:
Recorded data indicates that an adequate fuel quantity was on board the aircraft and that the autothrottle and engine control commands were performing as expected prior to, and after, the reduction in thrust.
Very poor reporting on the part of the BBC.

Apparently the engines were turning on impact and one failed 8 seconds after the other.
Not quite joe - neither engine failed:

The AAIB said:
The engines did not shut down and both engines continued to produce thrust at an engine speed above flight idle, but less than the commanded thrust.
The only thing that the latest report does, IMHO, is eliminate the possibility that the plane was out of fuel, which would have meant that the crash was caused by pilot error.

There are other types of pilot error, and system faults, that have not yet been mentioned. Until the cause is known, there's very little else that can be eliminated.

Now then, if the engines were still thrusting, and if the grass had been a conveyor belt moving in the opposite direction to the plane, would the wheels have come off?

Sponsored Links
The BBC has misinterpreted the AAIB report.
I interpret this as meaning that the FDR data shows that the correct commands were issued, and at the correct time; nothing more than that. It doesn't mean that the commands reached the engines, or that the engines received the commands, or that the commands were processed.
Not necessarily Softus. Whilst I'm not familiar with the 777's specific FDR, most I've come across monitor throttle position feedback in addition to input selection and so they would actually know what throttle demand was set at the engine's fuel control units

All we know (at the moment) is that the engines did not do the expected thing.
True ;)

Jury's out with me on this one to be honest as I have always been of the belief that FADEC issues could be overcome by selecting full throttle and I'm sure both captain and first officer would have done this pretty sharpish once they had the undershoot warnings.

Fuel related problems do seem favourite at the moment though.

MW

Could it have been the elastic band snapping perhaps?

Now you're just being plain silly and I think that this thread should be locked.

For the benefit of any moderators who may be awake ... I'M KIDDING!

MW

image003dz0.jpg

A bit on the side...
;)

her set-up is all wrong.

legs too far apart, she's using the wrong grip, chest is too far out....... :LOL:

her set-up is all wrong.

legs too far apart, she's using the wrong grip, chest is too far out....... :LOL:

Yep, she'll have a club sticking out of her head very soon.... :D :D

BD said:
Would the crew have spotted them from 2 miles out

She was a distraction 4 sure or 2 DD sure.
:D

Surely she's not gripping the shaft firmly enough?

Is that what you'd call a double-breasted birthday suit?

Sponsored Links
Back