Justice for all

Being an 'oldy' I sense that any serious accident today seems to result in road closure ... I recollect years ago the traffic was kept moving (if feasible) as a priority.
It feels like we motorists are being hunted down and ostracized remorselessly ... new powers to traffic wardens or whatever they're called ... amongst other stuff will be able to book you if stopped in the yellow junction box soon ... cannot always see exit from box, or the box markings, try it on a wet, winter day, late afternoon ...
It is not an exact science this driving business ... I mean if speed alone kills, which it does not, simple, do not allow vehicles to travel at excessive speed by design ...... Some kinda cam mechanism at the drive to the wheels shoving them off centre as road speed increases, feeling uppity ? that'll slow you down sir !!

P

Sponsored Links
If someone is killed or it looks like someone may die of their injuries then the road has to be closed. It is possibly a murder scene and as much evidence as possible must be collected.

I am not sure I like the idea about traffic wardens giving box junction tickets etc! I suppose that in theory if everyone obeyed box junction rules there would be no problem. But if they are anything like Westminster parking attendants than we will be getting tickets for being NEAR a box junction. I parked my bike in a motorbike rank near Leicester Square. Nodded a "g'day" to the parking attendant who walked past. Came back 5 minutes later to find that he had given me a ticket! I wasn't even overlapping the line or hanging over it anywhere! I wrote to the city council and contested it. There reply was that according to the attendant I was illegally parked so they wouldn't withdraw it. Well durr! That is as stupid as when a tree cutting crew smashed my rear windscreen and when I wrote to the council was told "well, we asked them and they say they didn't". Hmmm. So someone else came along, drove their tree-cutting crew into the car park via a locked council-only gate, and proceded to smash a perfectly rectangular hole in my rear windscreen. Just for a laugh.

Did you know a lollipop lady can effectively book you? Part of a lollipop equipment is a piece of chalk in order to write registration numbers on the black area of the lollipop. The police issue tickets to the owners of these cars. So if someone fails to stop they get a ticket! Watch out for the nice lady in the fluorescent jacket, she can cause you a lot of bother if you endanger the kiddies!

What they never used to check for this stuff then ?

I reckon that not all the 'yellow boxes' are appropriately positioned.
Try using them 'correctly' I know of three where you would have to stop and not move through the box, why ? The exit is actually just around the bend before you .... Guess you would have to challenge the parking person in court .. perhaps ok for a local, not for the occasional passer by tho', probably would not remember the situation and therefore, you've got it :- Pay up!! Pay up, and play the game !! You 'orrible, distasteful, murderous, polluting, non-local .... spit, MOTORIST, spit....
I mean, the locals know the whereabouts of fixed cameras, 'yellow boxes' , cyle lanes, potholes, etc etc.

P

My experience of yellow boxes only extends to London ones where they are on traffic light controlled junctions.

The main problem with them is that if you follow them entirely correctly then everyone else will just cut round you! But they seem to be designed that if you are "a bit cheeky" and are only half off it at the other end then it is no big deal, traffic still flows the other way.

Luckily we have no box junctions whatsoever where I live now. On the negative side, at least 90% of the drivers round here are c**p. :LOL: Lane discipline to them means getting kinky at the bowling alley.

Sponsored Links
In our local city they used the yellow paint when the tarmac ran out !

P

The gov reckons we are short of workers and uses this to justify mass immigration to our small island.

If they are being honest why don't they take this to it's logical conclusion.

Hows about someone from Thailand to deal with our drug problems? or from an Arab state for tea-leaves? We also have Saddam's talents going to waste, Blunketts job looks suitable to me.

Somehow I don't this would catch on with the establishment, do you?

Would be better for most us though, but when did we ever count.

This quote always makes me smile when I read stuff like this.

"The youth of today is singularly deficient in manners, sadly lacking in respect of their elders, yet their personal conceit is colossal.
They are self-willed, self-satisfied, and self-concerned of their own value to society.
If the future of humanity lies in their hands, which God forbid, then the destiny of mankind indeed is dark."

The Monk Benedictus,
writing in the 11th Century.

The rot set in a long time ago ;)

So, if things have remained roughly the same down the centuries, even with a vastly increased population and the constant media brainwashing - guess the kids of today are not that bad !!
It's the whirling, drilling, hammering, sawing hordes of Barry Bucknalls and paranoid sparks we should be wary of !!
That'll smoke 'em out !!

P

securespark said:
The law seems to regard theft of money more highly than loss of life.

Assaults also seem to be treated leniently unless the recipient is wearing a dark navy uniform.

I was assaulted in 1994 by someone whose last offence (before the one involving me) was hitting a copper. He was jailed by the court then, and told that his next assault offence would also land him in the clink.

What did he get for hitting me? 120hrs CS.

It was a nightmare. He was a next door neighbour of my sister. He terrorised her and her little girl of 6. Breaking windows, throwing lumps of concrete at her windscreen while she was reversing on the drive, puncturing tyres etc..

He was a council tenant, but in those days, ASBO's were non-existant, and MCC was just about beginning to draw up rules about anti-social council tenants. We went to the council every day almost, but they failed to move him. In the end, my sister moved, making a huge loss on the house.

I'm not blaming him entirely, but my sister is now an alcoholic, drinking at least three bottles of wine and two litres of cider every day without fail.
She also smokes at least 40 a day.

Her daughter is now a cutter, and wishes she was dead.

Tragic.

Been away 4 a while secure and so I've just read this post of yours, give your sister and niece as much support as you can, I empathise with you, best of luck to you all.

Scoby

Thank you sincerely for your kind words.

Unfortunately, my sister has become paranoid due to her vast alcohol intake, and has started cutting herself off from family and friends 1 by 1 by falling out wit them over some trivial matter. I am the latest to suffer this fate. Believe me, I will never stop trying, but I fear I will not "heal the rift" before she dies. She will not speak to me, or see me, or even be in the same property as me, let alone room. She fell out with me over a disagreement where she felt I should have taken her side over my wife's.

That's a nasty position to be placed in - between a rock & a hard place.

Luckily, I am still in touch with my niece, who I also love dearly, and it hurts so much to see her pain, but I can do no more than offer her what I can. She is getting on badly with her mum, as all that happens when she gets home is a nagging over trivial things. And her mum wonders why she never sees her....

We have offered her our home to live, and that is all we can do.

I am very upset, but my niece is an adult now, and has to make decisions for herself - we cannot force her away from her mum, but nevertheless, it is still very hard, knowing what her life is like, and how unhappy she is.

securespark,

I'm sorry to hear all about this, I can assure you are not alone in this matter.

I've been though hell acting as a peacemaker in between my mum's and my sister who don't get on. I even get poison letter from them, childish I know and they both can't cope without me !!! Can't win.

I had counselling session for advice and the best advice they gave me which is sadly correct, your family must come first and keep your distance from your sister however much you're hurt, otherwise you will end up having a breakdown. You will never solve this problem until your sister ask for help (which I don't agree with) don't worry about your neice as she is now a adult and she will became a stronger independent personality and that can be a good thing. I hope she'll meet somebody. As long as your neice know you will be there for her and remember this won't be forever.

The only way I cope with my sister and mum's is to agreed everything they say as you cannot change their personality.

ps: My neice been to school 34 days last year and she is not at school now. Sometime she stay with us plus holiday and she's no problem with us.

Good advice, mason. Thanks for the sympathy.

Yes, we all know alcoholism is a disease, and half the battle to a cure is accepting you have a problem and asking for help. But she is in complete denial.

If you took away her alcohol for just one night, she would not be able to cope without it.

She has to have it to function.

Having said that, she went to hospital 2 years ago, hardly able to breathe. She went on a nebuliser and did not smoke or drink once while in the place. Her condition rapidly improved, as did her appetite. (Before she would hardly eat anything as most of her cals were in the alcohol...)

Alas, on leaving, instead of wondering how the miraculous recovery came about, the first thing she did outside the main entrance was to light a fag. The second? Buy some cider, and drink it on the way back to the car....

Best of luck guys with your situations, I'm sure I speak for everyone on these forums by saying that.

Sponsored Links
Back