A bit of bondage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not connect extraneous conductive parts to the main earthing terminal via supplementary protective bonding conductors - he should examine the diagram on page 32 of the regs and use correct terminology.
I thought you might be interested in this extract from another email I had from him:

"With regard to page 32 of the 17th edition, I can't see what your mate is worrying about (though I do only have a draft copy) could you explain."

So he considers himself an electrician, with a fist-full of merits and distinctions, and such an expert that he can write text books. And now we know why he wrote one with such out of date information. He doesn't have a copy of the 17th.

Sponsored Links
Dingbat, you're an instructor type are you not? Could you put up some bonding questions from a 2381 exam and see how Dave does?

That would be the requirements of the 16th edition, then? :D

There are no significant questions about bonding in any standard exams I've come across - 2382, 2391, 2392 so that wouldn't work. But I'm not sure Dave needs any encouragement to dig his own authorial grave. He seems quite happy to enter into intellectual combat with neither the weapons nor the armour! (He's also a tad short of followers.)

Sponsored Links
I have, today, received a message from Emma McCarthy's office:

"The only publications NICEIC [endorse] are those produced and sold on our NICEIC Direct website and of course BS7671:2008 the wiring regulations.

Mr Cockburn has had no endorsement from us for his publication.

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention,

Kind regards,Emma

Emma McCarthy | Chief Operating Officer | Ascertiva Group Limited
Warwick House | Houghton Hall Park | Houghton Regis | Dunstable | LU5 5ZX"

I just thought I'd share. :D

Hmm,

Having read the introduction of the book, it really is just a load of nonsensical jibber-jabber...

I wonder what C&G qualifications he actually has....surprising if they were electro-technical.

Yooj

If you read all of this topic, Jooj, you'll see that he considers himself an authority at least the equal of the wiring regulations committee, so what use does he have for mere electro-technical quals?

Anyway, I'm going to spend the weekend writing down my solution to all the world's economic problems now and forever more. A weekend should do it, as I'm pretty sure I've got a handle on it and I'm frankly amazed that major world financial regulators have yet to implement my suggestions to date...

...I'm taking their lack of comment thus far as acknowledgement of my supremacy in this area of expertise and fully expect the new world order to be along the lines I have proposed.

You will be able to read all about it in my world-government-not-unapproved three page self-published pamphlet, in which I will also introduce you to a whole new 'way' of using, punctuation; and "emphasi's":

It will be on sale for £14.99 - please review it on Amazon.

Hi Guys,

The NIC EIC never gave me their blessing to write my books, they have simply had to recognise them as genuine pieces of literature.

The reason that none of the other bodies have commented is because they cannot argue with what is being said. As for all that you have written, niether have any of you.
All that any of you have done so far is quote regulations, or try to assasinate my character and that is not debate.

Therefore I am assuming that you all believe that RCD's can replace bonding, so lets look at this assumption a little closer.

Regulation 412-06-01 of the 16th edition tells you that "a residual current device is not recognised as the sole means of protection against direct contact".
You can all easily demonstrate why, but first you must possess a 'ramp test' facility on your RCD tester.
As you should all be aware by now once an RCD has been tripped on overload it becomes weakened and from that point forward it very annoyingly trips at between 15 & 30mA. If you have a 0.5x,1x,5x RCD tester you will have found that when you are called back by your client because the RCD trips out everytime they use their food mixer, you cannot find the fault.

Therefore first test an RCD with a ramp tester to ensure that it is working at 30mA, then go upstairs, take off your boots, lift the carpet and stand on the floorboards, then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your index finger onto the live conductor.
I very much doubt that the RCD will trip and it will hurt like a son of a bitch.

Once you've done this, then come back and debate me over whether or not you think you need earthing.

Regards,

David Cockburn.

Therefore first test an RCD with a ramp tester to ensure that it is working at 30mA, then go upstairs, take off your boots, lift the carpet and stand on the floorboards, then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your index finger onto the live conductor.
I very much doubt that the RCD will trip and it will hurt like a son of a ****.

Why don't you go do that, and either marvel at how the RCD trips as normal, or enjoy your electrocution?

Oh my word. There are various versions of it, but a suitable quote for you is this:

"It is better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt"

Hi Guys,

The NIC EIC never gave me their blessing to write my books, they have simply had to recognise them as genuine pieces of literature.

Thank goodness you have a sense of humour. And if it turns out to have all been a jolly jape on your part, I will be the first to congratulate you on how well you have reeled us all in. (It is, of course, too late for you to spring from your box and cry "April Fool!")

The reason that none of the other bodies have commented is because they cannot argue with what is being said.

A fair point; where does one start?

As for all that you have written, niether have any of you.
All that any of you have done so far is quote regulations, or try to assasinate my character and that is not debate.

Neither is clinging to the entrenched view that nothing you say is incorrect...

Therefore I am assuming that you all believe that RCD's can replace bonding, so lets look at this assumption a little closer.

And we all know where assumptions can lead, do we not? I don't recall a single person in this discussion raising that point, but I may be wrong. (Have you ever used that phrase, I wonder?)

Regulation 412-06-01 of the 16th edition tells you that "a residual current device is not recognised as the sole means of protection against direct contact".

Get with the programme Davey-boy. It's the 17th now and, in any case, nobody was disputing this.

As you should all be aware by now once an RCD has been tripped on overload it becomes weakened and from that point forward it very annoyingly trips at between 15 & 30mA.

OMG. You come in, all guns blazing, then blow it in the first sentence of your argument.

RCDs do not provide overcurrent protection and I'm sure that the manufacturers of RCDs would be delighted to knjow that you have uncovered a fatal flaw in their long-term operating characteristics.

I have never heard of this from any source, so you must prove the veracity of your assertion.

If you have a 0.5x,1x,5x RCD tester you will have found that when you are called back by your client because the RCD trips out everytime they use their food mixer, you cannot find the fault.

Spurious, irrelevant and untrue. I do believe you might be talking about your own personal experiences here - is this a theory you've dreamed up to explain to your clients why you have neither the equipment nor know-how to diagnose RCD problems?

Not once have I ever heard of the problem you have cited - not from the various forums I browse, nor from the hundreds of electricians I have helped to train.

...then go upstairs, take off your boots, lift the carpet and stand on the floorboards, then take the front off of a socket and put the back of your index finger onto the live conductor.
I very much doubt that the RCD will trip and it will hurt like a son of a ****.

You utter cabbage!

Once you've done this, then come back and debate me over whether or not you think you need earthing.

The need for earthing has never been questioned.
The case for bonding is clear
RCDs are an irrelevance that you have just introduced (for no apparent reason)

The problem here, is that YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND the very subject that your book claims to explain.

Oh, sorry, I must be wrong. It must be me, the IET, the contributors to this and their forum... in short, anybody but you.

Look. EVERYBODY DISAGREES WITH YOU.

That does not make you Galileo - you're just wrong.

I still can't help thinking its a wind up as well. I think 'Dave the electrical expert' has been eating too many unidentified wild mushrooms.

So many things to point out to him, but with his delusional attitude, so little point to doing so :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back