A bit steep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently called-in a plumber to change a sticking Honeywell-style 2-port valve on HW side of boiler. He changed both HW and CH valves on the basis that 'if one was sticking the other would soon follow suit' although he didn't get my permission to do this.

I'd been expecting him to charge maybe £50 for one valve plus fitting time (which I could do myself in an hour, except its not local to me) but the total bill came to over £300. :eek: This seems a tad excessive, especially as work was done which was not asked-for.

Thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
Can you ask for a breakdown of his costs?

Does seem very steep, especially since he's decided to replace parts which you never asked for.

He should have consulted you about replacing the other valve.

For all he knows you could have wished to call him out and paid the call out fee/labour/parts once that other valve decided to fail.

Try to find out what part number the valves are, and look them up on internet to get an idea of cost, add some mark up allowance to them (20% or so seems fair to me) and see how much you are left with out of that £300,-

Can't see the reasoning for changing parts because others have failed. He should at least have given you the choice.

The valves are in fact a bit dearer than I thought, about £75 seems typical. So, his price for the valves is not unreasonable. Though if they're that dear he should have asked before changing two.

-What hourly rates do plumbers typically charge these days? I'm still finding it hard to imagine how he could clock-up so much labour on so simple a job. I could just-about give my solicitor a stillson and screwdriver and tell him to do it at that rate.

Sponsored Links
A simple job does not neccasarily equate to a quick job, assuming he had to drain down your system, refill, bleed all the rads, etc, etc

£300 is not excessive, why he changed the other valve is a different matter

If you could change both yourself in an hour, it beggars the question of why didn't you?

last one i did was £150 but it was an easy swap plus a new aav

but if you drain down refill put inhibtor back in then yes £300 can be justfied

The valves are in fact a bit dearer than I thought, about £75 seems typical. So, his price for the valves is not unreasonable. Though if they're that dear he should have asked before changing two.

-What hourly rates do plumbers typically charge these days? I'm still finding it hard to imagine how he could clock-up so much labour on so simple a job. I could just-about give my solicitor a stillson and screwdriver and tell him to do it at that rate.

We charge what we are worth. If your that bothered, do the job yourself next time. A lot of 2 ports cannot be changed in an hour. Ive had to bail out 2 customers this week who though they could do some plumbing (as it was a 'simple job' in their eyes) :rolleyes:

And before you start bleating on here, get your facts right about prices of motorised valves.

Althought the OP hasn't a clue about charges, he is right to be surprised at the changing of a 2PV "just in case"

Sponsored Links
Back