A book birth??? feedback needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am a fully qualified electrician...for 25 years doing domestic and industrial work in the UK and away....

After my contracting boss bought it I have been teaching part time at a local training establishment for the last 4 years teaching 2377, 2381, 2391,2400. I do this between busy "on the tools" stints.

I have been teaching 5-day NIC domestic installer courses and EAL since part p arrived....

I enjoy this work very much, even though it is hard work! A few of my students say I am pretty good at this and should consider writing a book, as the market is full of books they cannot understand.

So.... a year ago I started writing and photographing and i finished my final draft yesyerday. It is done along the lines of how i teach in class with pictures and diagrams, like a haynes car manual..The project is based on a new build bungalow and covers everything i think! (143 pages of A4)

I am very happy, but need feedback and advice on publishing etc
can anyone in diynot land comment on this positively or negatively
regards

Sponsored Links
hi
just finished third draft
its gone to various scribes now for final editing. these are a retired techer, headmaster of a school, and a couple of kitchen fitters
writing is hard but extremely rewarding, i learnt a lot

why the kitchen fitters?, they will look at it, ignore it and carry on as per normal :LOL:

Sponsored Links
:D You would be surprised breezer...

the kitchen, bathroom, builder boys are all ears and quick to learn

its the sparks forced here by their firms who say," I've been sparking 30 years and don't test, certificate, because....

"i only get the meter out if it goes bang"
"course it will be earthed, no need to check"
"not my job"
"not interested"

:(

If you'd like to put up a couple of sample chapters on the web I'm sure some of us would critique it ;) I suppose you have to be careful not to let it be bootlegged and lose your copyright.

I for one did some Technical Authoring in a previous life and can often remember which end of a screwdriver to hold.

I'd be interested in having a view too. Have done a bit of tech authoring too & am time served sparky. Also I take a constructive, but critical view, of stuff generally. Dont know if this forum has PM capabilities. Post back on here and we can work out contact, somehow. If you are interested.

There is no PM facility, you can show your email address in your profile

It is impossible to say without seeing the document, if you can post some sample pages or email me some if you like.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back