A Canundrum

B

Big_Spark

I am about to design an installation for a client..I have done the donkey part of it, but thought that it might be an idea to post here to see how you guys get on with it.

Installation spec.

Install 108 No lights along two driveways, 40 on the main driveway and 68 on the secondary driveway.

The main driveway is 240 meters long and the secondary driveway is 428 meters long.

Each of the lights will be 500mm high bollards containing one 18w TL-D lamp.

Main Driveway:

These lights are to be operated via a photo-cell and a timeclock to prevent them being on all night, however there will be a requirement for a remote over-ride switch for when there are functions. All these lights will be on one side of the driveway and must be on one circuit.

Edit:

Total circuit length is estimated to be 286 meters

Secondary Driveway:

These are to be operated by a phot-cell, however the supply to this will be via two way switching at either end of the driveway, the switching being controlled by motion sensors which link to a timer that automatically shuts the lights off after 20 minutes.

Edit:

Total circuit length is 472 meters

Now you need to work out how to achieve this, and calculate the correct cable size to comply with the regulations.

I have done all the above already, I am simply adding the finishing touches and pricing it up..I am doing a quote, but we have been given the go ahead regardless, the quote if for cost control purposes and client reference.

Sponsored Links
JWL

Just done cable calcs initially....

Assume: no 3036's, groupings, or temps.

Cable comes out at 6mm2 SWA for both, but dont know cos Theta load power factor.........

Ang on you only done the easy part........

Also wants to know how you achieve it.....

Sorry......just seen the initially....

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
JWL

Just done cable calcs initially....

Assume: no 3036's, groupings, or temps.

Cable comes out at 6mm2 SWA for both, but dont know cos Theta load power factor.........

Secure, I hate to say this, but your wrong..well sort of anyway.

The Main Drive I have calculated as 6mmsq 3 Core SWA, however the secondary drive actually comes in at 2 runs of 10mmsq.

In case your wondering.

VD on 10mmsq 3 or 4 core SWA = 4.0mV per A per meter.

34 Lights is 3.25A and the run length is 472 meters

Therfore:

4.0x3.25x472 / 1000 = 6.13V

6mmsq SWA has a VD of 6.8mV per A per meter

so: 6.8x3.25x472 / 1000 = 10.43V....this would be in breach of the regulations which only allow a 4% drop, or 9.2V.

That is the easy part, now lets see who can sort out the rest of the installation...I finished mine this afternoon :)

lol,

Worked out 6.0mm aswell for both circuits, but I would be tempted to throw in 10.0mm for driveway 2 (Vd is around 8.3)

As for switchgear.....well I aint 100% (I dont do much estimating) MK Timers / Contactors? dunno....SWA's protected by a 100/300mA RCBO

Driveway 2 is a bit vaque, where are the sensors in relation to the light fittings...

I'll av a better go in work on Monday......

Me wrong aswell then.......I did start writing before FWL posted again....I aint cheatin

hehehe:)

Check out Table 4E4A of the regs for the correct volt drops, column 4 gives the ones you want.

Rememeber, these cables are buried in the ground, so reliance on the SWA for protection is not a good bet, I will always use 3 core, the yellow being the CPC in this situation..it also has a better volt drop :)

IL, the motion sensors for drive 2 will be mounted at either end of the driveway, one near the House, the other adjacent to the rear gate.

I look forward to seeing what you lot come up with.

regarding your comment Secondary Driveway:

These are to be operated by a phot-cell, however the supply to this will be via two way switching at either end of the driveway, the switching being controlled by motion sensors which link to a timer that automatically shuts the lights off after 20 minutes.

what's a phot cell ? (is it some where to keep bad phot's :LOL: )

seriously, must it be 20 mins, or is 10 -15 mins accepatble?

Piccy Goit :D

OK so I missed the typo!! Hang me why don't you :)

Well the client has specified 20 minutes as the minimum, but more is not practical either.

20 Minutes it is.

One last thing Guys, this is a mans home we are talking about, he may earn money out of it for functions and films etc, but is is primarilly his home, and it is 247 years old..the current building anyway...the family have had a house on the site since 1041AD!!!

Guys, please do not worry about Bollard details, these have been sorted as they are being specially made as they must be removable to allow period filming, the base must seal upon removal of the top.

too much information :eek:

I had thought about using an external pir c/w photocell, but they seem not to go to 20 mins.

so the next option is a timer relay (probaly from RS, but as i am not registered i can not get the spec informaation)

but knowing you, you will (probably) use a logic controller.

a simple yes or no will surfice for an answer (eg yes logic controller)

(if i get a yes / no answer i will not mention you can't spell conundrum)

Breezer..Logic Controller = NO

Something off the shelf :D

Conundrum...(Yep I realise I mistyped the title of the thread)

FWL_Engineer said:
But did you also realise that you've been signing off with an error. But, as they sasy, to err is human after all! :D

dingbat said:
FWL_Engineer said:
But did you also realise that you've been signing off with an error. But, as they sasy, to err is human after all! :D

That was a deliberate mistake, I was curious how long it would be before it was noticed as well :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back