A Canundrum

Sponsored Links
FWL_Engineer said:
That was a deliberate mistake, I was curious how long it would be before it was noticed as well :)

Oh, I noticed it straight away, but as you're a bit scary - :evil: - I waited until one of the bigger boys got involved! Trouble is, on a site like this, once you've called in the Grammar Police you get opened worm-cans all over the place.

Sponsored Links
dingbat said:
See what I mean... I've wet myself now.

BOO:evil:
s081.gif
lol.gif

I will always use 3 core, the yellow being the CPC in this situation..it also has a better volt drop

i thaught that if one is usd as cpc it would be counted as 2core as the cpc wount be carrying a load under normal conditions... :confused:

supersparks said:
I will always use 3 core, the yellow being the CPC in this situation..it also has a better volt drop

i thaught that if one is usd as cpc it would be counted as 2core as the cpc wount be carrying a load under normal conditions... :confused:

Well I'm not too sure about that as usually you would use the armouring as the cpc. I can't honestly say I've ever thopught of it like that...worth investigating further. I think I'll phone the IEE tomorrow morning and get their thoughts on the issue.

I will certainly post it here for all to see.

I have given it some thought whilst doing a few things in my kitchen..like washing up!! and have come to the conclusion that the reason could well be magnetic channeling at the atomic level.

If the cable is a three or four core 400V supply, then there are three magnetic fields, BUT they do not cancel out as they do in a single phase supply.

Magnetic inductance comes into play as the magnetic fields of the three supplies are out of phase, and the return on the neutrals will be a jumbled mess of return fields that will not necessarilly be in phase.

This would cause a very small magnetic field to travel up the cable as it was energised. The Neutral would cancel most of it, but enough would actually remain to allow what is called magnetic channeling. This is not something that they will teach sparks, and the only reason I know about it is due to my interest in Astro-physics and High energy physics. (My hobby is Astronomy)

I could well be way of bat here as it is not really my field, but I will lay odds that is the reason that 3 phase supplies have a lower volt drop for a given size cable.

I'll keep you all posted.

FWL_Engineer said:
This is not something that they will teach sparks, and the only reason I know about it is due to my interest in Astro-physics and High energy physics. (My hobby is Astronomy)I'll keep you all posted.

Now do you see what I mean about being scary???!!!

Perhaps we should all get out more?

securespark said:
Didn't you say 28 on 2nd drive not 34??

NO...68, 34 on each of two circuits, one on the left side of the drive, one on the right.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back