A close thing!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not quite a disaster, but close...

I had to remove some hideous wall lights from our bedroom and so crawled into the cupboard under the stairs and knocked off the main power switch for the whole house.

I was just about to insert a screwdriver to disconnect the wires when I realised I could hear the unmistakable sounds of Spongebob Squarepants wafting up the stairs.

Hang on a minute...

... I turned the power off!

I went down to investigate and found 5-year old son happily watching telly.

'How did you put the television on, son?'

'It didn't work so I flicked that switch under the stairs, Daddy'

:confused:

Sponsored Links
That cupboard door needs a lock, and your son probably needs an educational fast track!

Sponsored Links
You want to get youself one of these mate ;)

lockouts.jpg

:LOL:

I recognise most of these.. but what are the big red things ( not the multi padlock locks.. ) ?

and are those small red things under it breaker lock-offs? i was looking for some of those for a fire alarm system... ( works as lock-ons too... )

is that black thing an IDC tool? looks like one...

When I was working at an Electricity company in Ipswich, some of the lads found an old "Danger! Men at work!" road sign in the stores, which they proudly screwed to the wall of their office.

It was considered rather misleading.

DonKiddick said:
Not quite a disaster, but close...

I had to remove some hideous wall lights from our bedroom and so crawled into the cupboard under the stairs and knocked off the main power switch for the whole house.

I was just about to insert a screwdriver to disconnect the wires when I realised I could hear the unmistakable sounds of Spongebob Squarepants wafting up the stairs.

Hang on a minute...

... I turned the power off!

I went down to investigate and found 5-year old son happily watching telly.

'How did you put the television on, son?'

'It didn't work so I flicked that switch under the stairs, Daddy'

:confused:

Had almost the exact same thing happen with our (just) 4 year old a few weeks ago, he put a couple of the old type fuses back into the fuse box while I was working on lighting/sockets, took them all the way back from the kitchen opened the cupboard door in the hallway & fitted them back in - Teaching kids to be tidy isn't always best !

Can't remember exactly why i noticed they were back in place but lets say is was pure luck.

We both had a lucky escape I think !

Co.

the one behind it says Women Working.. so that it's not sexist to blokes too.. depends on who's doing the work..

Very old sign.

Pre-dates the "Beware Man having trouble with umbrella" sign.

road_works.gif

The IEE regs say that every circuit must have its means of isolation, which must be lockable in the OFF position where remote from the equipment protected. The OFF position must be clearly marked in all cases so that there is no doubt in the mind of the operator as to whether his circuit is isolated and thus safe to work on.

I wonder how is this requirement met in a domestic installation, since no domestic CU I have ever seen has this capability built in - and clearly there is a need!

mine has

red/green flag showing through window in RCD and MCBs and RCBOs

and little hole for a lock

better quality gear :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back