A conservatory ... sort of.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi First post (although I have gleaned loads of useful info from loitering in the background) hopefully in the right place.

I live in a terraced house, with a single story extension to the rear original to the house, covering half the width of the house. Neighbours property is the same only their extension is 2 storey.
Between the 2 extensions is our yard, a potentially useful, but currently damp, inhospitable place.

I want to roof this area and build a wall to enclose it. Roof and wall mostly glazed, so should be considered a conservatory. It will be basically a large porch to be used for storage. Not heated, or even wired.
The concrete yard surface is currently about a foot lower than the house floor level so I would plan on constructing a suspended floor to bring the outside level up.

The span from wall to wall is approx 2.6m.

Would it be okay to use joist hangers bolted to the walls (or a wall plate on each wall) to span this distance for the floor, and a similar arrangement for the roof to support rafters (3.75m approx) from the rear of the house, so both the floor and roof are self supporting. Due to drains under the yard any sort of foundation would be difficult at the wall end so I was hoping to build a light stud walled end wall not intended to support the roof.

I currently am waiting to hear if I need PP as although it would stop 1m short of the current extensions it would be over 3m. and I do realise I would have to get the neighbours approval re: attaching to the party wall.

Hope that all made sense.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's known as a lean to, lower ranking than a conservatory, you should be able to knock this up without any sort of permission, it must be seperated from the main part of the house by an exterior door.

Apart from the attaching to neighbours wall issue, you will need to add flashing up the wall so the roof doesn't leak at the edge, self adhesive flashband will probably do the job here. Sheet polycarbonate for the roof on glazing bars.

How wide/what area will it cover?

It will be 2.5m wide and 3.5 long (from the rear wall of the house), although as I say thats shorter than the extensions the terrace has. Regardless it would appear that 3m is the max without any sort of planning.

Cheers on the flashing heads up. I had already thought of that, and have been boning up on how to do it 'properly' rather than just use flash band type stuff. I want this lean to, to look quite smart rather than just thrown up.

I do have the added problem of 2 soil pipes at the house end, so was considering starting the roof with a couple of rows of tiles, as from what I can tell putting the pipes through tile and getting a decent seal is far more likely (and nicer looking) than with polycarb. Hopefully it will still allow the roof to be 75% poly.

I have approached conservatory companies, but they take one look at the soil pipes and are flummoxed :confused: :confused: :confused: Thats why I was thinking of something more substantial.

If it's stuck between the houses and you and the neighbour are on good terms, I don't see anyone complaining about it. And being kept on the exterior you could always remove it if you came to sell and it caused problems (it won't)

Sponsored Links
if it now exceeds half the total garden for the house this including other building like sheds greenhouses or garages and decking and extensions covering more than half the garden then it will need planning permission

Its fine on that front. With it only 37% would be covered.
I'm pretty sure it will need planning though due to length from rear wall and I'm fine with that.
Its just the actual construction I'm pondering.

Just to drag this up again.

Will build this as conservatory, within 3m of rear wall so no PP. Neighbours have agreed to attaching to the party wall.

What sort of size joists would I need to span 2.5 metre gap wall to wall, to put a raised floor over the this yard, to bring it up to the same floor level as the house?

Firstly just to get all geeky technically you may need Building Regs approval once you fix anything structural back to the original house.

Don't block up or cover any existing air vents in the existing wall if you have any. You'll need to add new ones in your new external wall too.

Joists would typically be 50x150 @450 cts.

Cheers.
There are existing air bricks which I will avoid covering.

I was under the impression if its a conservatory then BR do not apply, but that the glazing has to be of a certain spec?

Basically this floor would also be the base for the conservatory, much like the steel framed bases available.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back