A Few Plastering Questions In An Old Property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 1900's terrace, all the walls are back to brick and the ceiling is back to rafters.

The walls are fairly poor, with loose mortar and fairly uneven. Opinions of the two builders that we've had so far have included dot & dab, render or baton & board. Rendering seems to make sense to me at the moment, in the sense of adding shelves etc later if we wanted. Opinions to any pros / cons would be appreciated.

I know this second part is going to be unpopular, but I am struggling to put a price on this job. The last quote I got was £3k, which seems an awful lot to do it. That is plastering 2 walls of 7.5m, 2 walls of 4m, the ceiling and box in 2 RSJ's. Maybe if people don't want to give a price, an idea of how long the job would take would be a good start for me.

20130411_223242_zps3891fadd.jpg

20130411_223316_zpsda5b6e87.jpg

Sponsored Links
feed your cat,it looks hungry.

im sure the spreading peeps will offer you some good advice shortly.

Personally I would counter batten the ceiling it the joists are out to get it level and flat. I would also counter batten the walls too, pack them out and put OSB over top followed by plasterboard.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back