A few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am refitting my bathroom and am about to start the tiling. I have read the sticky, which is very good and clear (thanks gcol) but have a few questions to clarify a couple of points

1. Bath is fixed to the wall and I intend to seal it with silicone, level with the top of the bath. I have a dunlop tanking kit and was going to paint this so that it just meets the silicone. Is this ok or should I use some of the matting at this point ?

2. If the bath is level, can I tile from this (leaving a small gap for sealing) or is it preferable to fix a batten one tile's height up and work from there, fixing the bottom row of tiles last ?

3. I have constructed a studded wall at one end to house the shower valve. Is it best to tile the wall and then drill the necessary holes for this, or fit the valve and then tile around?

4. The studded wall is faced with 12.5mm plasterboard, (to be tanked). Which is the best of the BAL powdered adhesives to use on this and will this also be OK on the other brick and plastered walls.

Many Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
I am refitting my bathroom and am about to start the tiling. I have read the sticky, which is very good and clear (thanks gcol) but have a few questions to clarify a couple of points

1. Bath is fixed to the wall and I intend to seal it with silicone, level with the top of the bath. I have a dunlop tanking kit and was going to paint this so that it just meets the silicone. Is this ok or should I use some of the matting at this point ?
Make sure that your silicone seal is not higher than the bath top. Then use the matting and push it into the joint ensuring that it sticks to the edge of the bath. Then paint the tanking solution over it and the walls.

2. If the bath is level, can I tile from this (leaving a small gap for sealing) or is it preferable to fix a batten one tile's height up and work from there, fixing the bottom row of tiles last ?
Tiling from the bath is fine. Have you made sure that you won't be left with a thin cut at the ceiling? (If you're tiling to the ceiling that is.)

3. I have constructed a studded wall at one end to house the shower valve. Is it best to tile the wall and then drill the necessary holes for this, or fit the valve and then tile around?
You would normally drill the holes in the tiles to go around the water pipes before sticking the tiles up. Then fit the valve to the tiles.

4. The studded wall is faced with 12.5mm plasterboard, (to be tanked). Which is the best of the BAL powdered adhesives to use on this and will this also be OK on the other brick and plastered walls.
Bal Single Part Flexible Adhesive will be just fine. http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=2025-104
However, if your tiles aren't too big, you might find using Bal White Star a bit easier as it's pre-mixed. http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=2190-101

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back