A few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all

i need a bit of advice. could someone help answer some of these questions please

1. if you have the 17th edition and are part p are you only allowed to sign off your own work. and if you want to sign off someone elses work, or do periodic inspections on domestic properties do you need another qualification.

2. could someone recommend an easy, simple to understand dvd or book that explains step by step the procedure and how to carry out initial verification and testing

i have seen these 2 dvds they have differnt covers but are they the same dvd?

http://www.niceicdirect.com/catalog/partdetail.aspx?partno=DVD1

http://www.voltimum.co.uk/news/1107...-testing-dvd-helps-domestic-electricians.html

3. would it be possible to setup up a test rig on a piece of mdf/chipboard so i could practise testing, if this is possible are there any possible problems or limitations in this method, also if i wanted to carry out live testing on this rig how would i power it up, would i plug it into a 13a socket via a plug and use the other ends in the consumer unit on the test rig

many thanks for all your help.

Sponsored Links
1. officially i would think only your own work - but there is a huge black market.
2. they are different but only on screen as the first was the old 16th which if you were to order now would be updated to same version in 2nd

3. this is exactly what they do in the training room

The competent persons schemes only allow you to notify work which you have done.
This doesn't prevent you from inspecting or testing work done by others, or completing a PIR. You could also complete the test/inspection section of a 3 part EIC, where the actual design and installation was done by others.

What you cannot do is to use your membership of a competent persons scheme to notify work for the purposes of compliance with Building Regulations where other people have done the work. There are only 2 possible routes for this - either you notify your own work via a competent persons scheme, or it is notified via LABC.

Qualifications - no requirement to have any at all. However the C&G 2391 is the accepted qualification for test and inspections.

The test rigs as used by training providers are not just what you can see - they include various other components hidden on the back to simulate different kinds of faults. To practice testing, start with the circuits installed in your own house / friends houses etc.

Sponsored Links
If you going to build a test rig, protect the incoming feed with its own RCD.
I would recommend 10mA.

Thats what they do in colleges so that people dont kill themselves when messing around with the test rig under live conditions.

Not sure about dvds available on this subject, sure to be something.
The books I'd recommend are as follows.
On-site guide, gives you step by step instructions, guidelines and the relevant tables.
Guidance note 3, a more in depth explanation of intail verification and PIR
and
Practical Guide to inspection, testing and certification of electrical installation, by CHRIS KITCHER.
Again this book will give guidance on test procedures, visual inspections and report filling. With exercises to do.
Only down side on building your on rig, will be your ze reading but good practise tool, try build some resistance in to it to give more realist results.
SPS

If you going to build a test rig, protect the incoming feed with its own RCD.
I would recommend 10mA.

Thats what they do in colleges so that people dont kill themselves when messing around with the test rig under live conditions.
Actually, I'd recommend using the ones in the college where you're enrolled on a 2391 course.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back