A fused spur that goes where????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bear wih me on this one.
Back in 2001, we had a new boiler installed, and a radiator moved upstairs. Now next to the timer - for the central heating etc - there are 2 fused spurs. One for the boiler and timer, and the other I haven't got the foggiest. Now all those years have gone by with that particular spur switched off and it's never affected us, until we had a problem with our boiler again. Got a fellow tradesman, gas safe and he asked what the other spur was for, and I just said it was for the the extractor fan and he accepted it. So to satisfy my curiousity I took the spur plate off and behind it were:- 3 x 2.5mm twin core and earth. One I suspect may go to extractor fan; there is an extractor fan upstairs but that works on the light....ultimately 3 x twin core and earth and I would like to know what it feeds, how do i do that? As I said everything appears to be working fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Two of them could be on the ring (SUPPLY) - and one could be for the extractor fan (LOAD). What do the connections look like behind tge FCU?

Do all the 2.5mm² cables go to the feed L+Ns in the FCU. If so the then it may not actually supply anything, the two cables being part of a ring final circuit feeding it and a spur off.

Edited:I could swear the original post said 2x2.5mm when I first read it !

Sponsored Links
Hard to say, isn't it.

Is it normally switched on? Turn it off and see what doesn't work.

Could it be the immersion cylinder? Or a descaler? (although wired in unusual way, admittedly)

Check things like outside or additional lighting.

Is it a garage supply?

Occasionally, a fused spur can be fitted to supply other sockets and fused spurs when a supply directly from the socket ring circuit is not available.

As already mentioned two of them are probably the ring (in and out, as it were). Betcha the third one terminates in a junction box under a floor somewhere where something was disconnected.

PJ

It may have controlled a single socket that was designed for a fixed appliance to be plugged into.

Right, got L+N in the load, which will - I think - be the extractor fan... and 2 x L+N's in the feed (in and out) What a mess behind both spurs, plaster nd all that. I'll get some new ones and replace them; screws rusting and all sorts...just aswell am tiling the kitchen..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back