A glimpse of a life........ ladies found him attractive but a sad lonely end.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A colleague bought a house at auction, it had all its contents.
Everything was stripped out and dumped, the less said about that the better.

I went in when he first bought it he asked me "what's that smell ? " the bed had been removed. I told him later it was the chap that had lived .......and died there. I don't know how long he'd been dead there but I think a while.

I reckon he'd died in his early eighties.

Anyway I fitted a zoned heating system and a couple of stoves, so spent a bit of time there and discovered a little about the chap.

Found a load of documents and stuff he'd worked in engineering, invites to dinner etc etc kept bills dating back to the house in the fifties bit of a hoarder typical engineer,got a few interesting bits.

Even found a load of documents and work schedules required to comply with the clean air act very interesting.
But the poignant bit for me, that told me he was a very exceptiona likeable chap was these valantine cards .....Some of the ladies messages make me smile if not laugh.

Sponsored Links
An unrequited love perhaps?
She must have meant something to him for him to keep the cards.
Hope they eventually found happiness together.

There's something not quite right here. I'm not doubting that the cards are real.
But a 'get well' card, a 'congrats' card, a 'birthday card', a 'leaving card', even a 'commiseration card' signed by lots of people, yeah that's normal.
Surely the whole idea of a Valentine's card is that the sender is a secret admirer. Well you're hardly secret if you've conspired with a few other people to send the card.
But a Valentine's card signed by many people, naaah, that's weird. It would mean that many people would have got together and planned to send a single valentine card.
Why?

Call me an old sceptic, even an old romantic, if you like, but the motives for sending such a card seem a little iffy.
If they made the old fellow happy, I'm happy.

Of course, I haven't discounted the idea of someone asking a few of their friends to sign a card, but it lacks the intimacy of a proper Valentine's card. But again why?
Maybe I am an old sceptic, or romantic. :eek:

......he was a very exceptiona likeable chap!
If you keep publishing posts like that gasbanni, you could end up being a likeable chap too! And that would never do. Would it? Not on this blood and thunder GD forum.
Seriously though, a sad, warm, and interesting thread.

Sponsored Links
Confess it gasbanni.......... they ae the cards you kept from you younger days....

But seriously, they are private items that should not be put into the public domain. It is possible that someone might recognise them and knows ( or did know ) the person

Confess it gasbanni.......... they ae the cards you kept from you younger days....

But seriously, they are private items that should not be put into the public domain. It is possible that someone might recognise them and knows ( or did know ) the person
The chaps long gone nor identified by name, the envelopes as I recall were dated from the seventies. There nothing personal in them obviously all the women in the office involved liked Tom, the women now will perhaps be long gone too........there's no fear of embarrassing anyone.

It was the only thing in the house that gave you a clue to the man's personality and I found it nice, I asked the chap who'd bought the house do you know anything about him .....No nothing .......I felt I knew a little ........He was an ok guy and the women liked him.......

DON'T MAKE ME QUIVER JUST DELIVER !

YOU MAKE MY PITTER PATTER

THEY SAY THIR'D TIME LUCKY OOOOOOH TOM MAKE IT MINE

DON'T TEASE ME JUST PLEASE ME YOU KNOW HOW

what a guy ........at least the ladies thought so ........I've ever had a valantine from lots of women ........and I found three obviously from different years ...but hey !!!

Back