A guide to doing a loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is there such a thing?

Whats involved in doing a loft conversion?

Who would I need on-board?

The cost?

Sounds a bit vague....but my husbands a handyman and I was toying with the idea of doing it ourselves.

Sponsored Links
Pop down to your local planning control for a free advice and they will tell you how to go about it. In most cases you do not need planning premission unless you're altering the size of the roof then only building premission needed to be follow which is quite straight forward. The floor joists size would have to be increase unless you're using RSJ and you will need approx 1.9m headroom clearance for staircase.

If there is one job more than any other that requires a vast array of differing essentials to comply with the absolute certainty of needing planning permission then it is a loft conversion.

Well, it is about the most significant alteration you can make to a house short of knocking it down.

When you say 1.9m headroom clearance for the staircase, does this mean 1.9metres from any step to the ceiling directly above it, or the ceiling height in general? Is there a minimum finished ceiling height? I am picturing un-inspected loft conversions with 6 foot ceilings :eek:

Sponsored Links
There is one book that I found useful, it's "Loft Conversions" by Laurie Williamson (ISBN 1-86126-365-1) £16.99. The book gives details on Planning, Managing and completing your conversion. Your local library may have a copy.

Although most of the work was done by ourselves, we had plans drawn up professionally and some of the structual work done for us, as this was required by our mortgage company. It's a great feeling when it all starts coming together. But you MUST get Building Control involved otherwise all that work and cost could be for nothing, talk to them they are only too happy to give advice and will help were they can.

Salem

Building regs actually say 2m clearance and that is above the pitch line(imagine laying a stringline down your stairs)and that is to any point directly above that line.
1.9 meteres is only allowed as an easing on the top step and then you must have 1.9 in the centre of the tread.
You will need to get some architects drwings and structural engineers calculations done to satisfy building control and the everything will be specified for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back