A job for a Multitool?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to replace part of a barge board for a neighbour.....it's something I've done many times before. Obviously I can't use a tenon saw because of the soaker above, and what I generally do is to score a perpendicular line with a Stanley knife, get the score nice and deep and chisel away from the damaged end - score and chisel, score and chisel.
Obviously this becomes a bit tedious (albeit completely successful) so I was wondering:
I don't possess a multitool;
I've never held one, never mind seen one or used one;
I don't know anyone who has one.
The question, therefore....can a multitool produce a completely straight cut, similar to my Stanley knife? I don't do gaps or filler, I want a perfect butt joint so I'd really value practical comments!
Many thanks and good evening, everyone.
John :)

Sponsored Links
They can produce reasonably straighit cuts providing you use decent quality (i.e. stiff) blades such as Bosch, Fein or Festool - avoid the cheap blades - and providing you use a straight guide, such as some 2 x 1 PAR pinned to the surface you wish to cut. Noisy, though

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a Worx multicutter thingmybob. Not the one in the link but similar. You can get a fairly decent cut but, piddling about at the top of a ladder might not produce the best result. If I wanted a good straight cut with it, I think I'd be trying to attach something as a guide to cut along, if you get my drift.

Cheers for your reply (y)
The guy who wants this job done (93 and sight like Hawkeye) was a bloomin' good joiner in his day so my work has to be perfect - I think I'll stay with my knife method as I've only two cuts to do. The barges are 10" x 18mm.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I've got a Worx multicutter thingmybob. Not the one in the link but similar. You can get a fairly decent cut but, piddling about at the top of a ladder might not produce the best result. If I wanted a good straight cut with it, I think I'd be trying to attach something as a guide to cut along, if you get my drift.
Thanks for your reply - if any tool is really worthwhile for my projects then I'll buy it, no worries - it's maybe a little late in my woodworking career though!
Best wishes Stivino.

The multi will do this. There are some blades I get from Rutlands, and these are about 70mm wide and have deep sharp teeth and make quick fine straight cuts. You may get reasonably straight cuts by hand but up balanced off a ladder you may need a guide.

To be frank, John, I'd probably consider using a cordless 18 volt circular saw (again with a guide piece) to do the donkey work on this cut and maybe do 80% of the cut in a few moments, but then I have one in my tool kit (like many joiners nowadays), so it is really a bit of a no brainer

Much food for thought people and many thanks indeed.....I don't want to justify the expense of a new machine but if it makes a good job then so be it.
I've also got to replace a rotten window cill (haven't seen that one yet though so it may come in there.
I'll let you know the outcome.....if I knew how to post pics it would be a huge step into this century!!

if I knew how to post pics it would be a huge step into this century!!
'Tis easy!

When you reply, click on ‘upload file' a box pops up, click on 'photo library' or wherever your pictures are stored on your pc/laptop, click on the photos you want, then click 'done'. The pictures will load and appear on your screen the you just click either 'thumbnail' or 'full image' and that is placed into your post wherever the curser is.
3BB7D517-3072-49AB-BE0E-D22019DC851E.jpeg

C9E76906-8EBD-4020-AFDF-5A5A34C57DEC.png

you can also get a round or semicircular blade for the multicutter, looks like a circular saw, its shape allows you to run it along in a straight line much better that the standard blades that are more suitable for an up-and-down cut.

Diamond coated blades are available in the same shape for cutting tiles.

Thanks for the advice Mottie, if I can find how to transfer photos from my phone to the lap top I'll maybe give it a go!
Best not to hold your breath here.....:whistle:

If I was doing that job I would use the multi cutter and a large 65mm Japanese blade. I would free hand it but I've had plenty off experience of using those tools of ladders so in your case use a guide. John its the perfect tool for that job. (Headphones required)

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back