A level results

The thing that is being overlooked is that with less pupils in class learning and more online, interaction skills and (I hate the word) the lack of 'brainstorming' will lead to a further dumbed down country...

But has been mentioned this won't affect those with money!

Our kids and their friends and teachers helped each other out when someone couldn't get something...

Far easier to do face to face than in a zoom meeting!

Sponsored Links
What problem?
That there has been significant grade inflation. 4 times as many students have got grade 9 (the new top grade), 30% of students got grade 7 and above compared to 21% when they last sat GCSE's in the normal way in 2019.

That there has been significant grade inflation. 4 times as many students have got grade 9 (the new top grade), 30% of students got grade 7 and above compared to 21% when they last sat GCSE's in the normal way in 2019.

I am sure Uni selection processes will take this into consideration.

Sponsored Links
What is the problem?

My youngest has just got nine GCSEs, all either grade 7 (4), 8 (3) or 9 (2).

Middle lad didn't do so well, he got an E in the As but got a distinction in his BTEC IT.

well we all know there’s something you “can’t get”

go and get jabbed (n)
But I'm well educated enough to think for myself...

Where does that leave you?

Anyway this is about 'A' level results...

Did you get any?

What is the problem?
That the grades given don't accurately reflect the ability and knowledge of the students that have been assessed.

They only reflect their knowledge of what they've been taught and that varies from school to school.

So the grades become worthless to employers and universities.

That the grades given don't accurately reflect the ability and knowledge of the students that have been assessed.

They only reflect their knowledge of what they've been taught and that varies from school to school.

Don't blame the students. Blame the system.

Education went from learning to passing exams. The fetishism with quantifying results so that you could correlate performance and with the introduction of league tables.

Schools, teachers and kids became adept at passing exams - learning became secondary.

This carried on to A-levels. Students did not need to learn around their subject but learn how to pass exams.

At Universities it has devolved to students being seen as customers.

Cutting funding to Universities and focusing totally on employability has meant students are not interested anymore in learning for the sake of learning or learning deeply.

What will happen is that we will lose our edge in innovation because we need problem solvers who can look at a problem from a different viewpoint.

Some of the best developers I have worked with never studied Comp Sci but they had brilliant logical reasoning and analytical skills.

I am sure Uni selection processes will take this into consideration.
How will university selection processes take into account that the percentage of the syllabus learnt but students with the same grades varies substantially from school to school?

I got my first degree in Engineering. When i arrived for my course there was already significant variation in the knowledge of my fellow students. The course assumed that there was a level of pre-existing knowledge, particularly in maths. Some students were lucky enough be ahead of others and therefore already knew the course material that we started with. Others didn't have that knowledge and either had to work very hard to catch up or dropped out. There were 120 students on my course at the start of year 1. By the end of that year we were down to less that 80.

Obviously not all of them dropped out for the reasons above, by a significant portion of them did.

What i suspect will happen is that the universities will accept a higher drop our rate, or start teaching more basic material which in turn means that the students that graduate from that course won't have had time to study advanced subjects to the same level as previous years. That then means lower grade achievement by those students, or grade inflation at degree level which means that this crop of graduates affected by covid won't be educated to the same level as previous years.

To be clear, i'm not blaming the students or the teachers. I think that the government have got this wrong by allowing the grade inflation and should have found another way to assess the students. EG double grades for each subject. One grade for ability and another for knowledge. That would allow employers and universities to assess both the students ability but also their knowledge.

i think there needs to be an acceptance that, through no fault of their own, this year's crop of GCSE and A level students have not been as well educated as in previous years due to the disruption they've suffered due to covid.

Nonsense.

Pity there is not an A level in common sense

if there was it would probably have resulted in the biggest exam failure ever :ROFLMAO:

How will university selection processes take into account that the percentage of the syllabus learnt but students with the same grades varies substantially from school to school?

I got my first degree in Engineering. When i arrived for my course there was already significant variation in the knowledge of my fellow students. The course assumed that there was a level of pre-existing knowledge, particularly in maths. Some students were lucky enough be ahead of others and therefore already knew the course material that we started with. Others didn't have that knowledge and either had to work very hard to catch up or dropped out. There were 120 students on my course at the start of year 1. By the end of that year we were down to less that 80.

Obviously not all of them dropped out for the reasons above, by a significant portion of them did.

What i suspect will happen is that the universities will accept a higher drop our rate, or start teaching more basic material which in turn means that the students that graduate from that course won't have had time to study advanced subjects to the same level as previous years. That then means lower grade achievement by those students, or grade inflation at degree level which means that this crop of graduates affected by covid won't be educated to the same level as previous years.

To be clear, i'm not blaming the students or the teachers. I think that the government have got this wrong by allowing the grade inflation and should have found another way to assess the students. EG double grades for each subject. One grade for ability and another for knowledge. That would allow employers and universities to assess both the students ability but also their knowledge.

i think there needs to be an acceptance that, through no fault of their own, this year's crop of GCSE and A level students have not been as well educated as in previous years due to the disruption they've suffered due to covid.

Universities have a better handle of the ability of their cohort. They can interview candidates they suspect.

However I don't see professional exams getting easier which is the goal of many who go to university.

Sponsored Links
Back