A New Bit of Kit (well in our box anyway)

Is the 'box on the supply or load end of the 25m of cable, I wonder?
Supply.
As I said, that's what I had assumed - in which case, as I said, your suggestion of an active RCD (in the box) surely would be of no help in relation to 'loss of continuity' in the cable downstream of the box, would it?
There is a diagram on the page you don't have. Is this any help? http://www.kelvatek.com/summary_brochures/Restore.pdf[/QUOTE]Not really - that's the same link that westie posted, and it only gets me the first page (and a blank second one). I'll try a different browser - watch this space!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose there could be some small load permanently connected at the end of the cable, so that the device could operate if current fell to zero
If it's connected as shown in the brochure, the 'small load the the end' will be the electricity meter in the second property.

There is a diagram on the page you don't have. Is this any help? http://www.kelvatek.com/summary_brochures/Restore.pdf[/QUOTE]Not really - that's the same link that westie posted, and it only gets me the first page (and a blank second one). I'll try a different browser - watch this space!
Very odd. Did no-one else have problems? My initial problem was with Chrome. It got 'stuck' before completing the download, but at least showed me the first page. With IE8, it ground to a halt after downloading "1.24/1.49 MB", but showed me nothing. However, I kept refreshing that page, and it got 1 or 2 MB further each time, and eventually got to 100% and showed me both pages!

Whatever, I've now seen the diagram, which confirms what I wrote in my previous post.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I suppose there could be some small load permanently connected at the end of the cable, so that the device could operate if current fell to zero
If it's connected as shown in the brochure, the 'small load the the end' will be the electricity meter in the second property.
Does a meter necessarily draw any current when there is no load on it? I suppose that 'electronic' ones probably do, but I'm far less sure about electromechanical ones - although I suppose the 'voltage coil' (or whatever it's called, might.

Maybe they are simply assuming that there will always be at least some load, so that, as I've suggested, the 'second device' might just be a 'zero current detector'.

Kind Regards, John

Does a meter necessarily draw any current when there is no load on it?
Very little, an older mechanical meter in theory would not draw any at all, although in reality there would be a tiny current.

However the presence of the meter (or any other load) could easily be detected, by injecting some signal into the line conductor and monitoring the neutral for the same signal.

Does a meter necessarily draw any current when there is no load on it?
Very little, an older mechanical meter in theory would not draw any at all, although in reality there would be a tiny current.
As I said in my 'afterthought', isn't there actually a continuous (tiny) current though the 'voltage coil' in an electro-mechanical meter, even in the absence of any load?
However the presence of the meter (or any other load) could easily be detected, by injecting some signal into the line conductor and monitoring the neutral for the same signal.
That's true. Do you think it's likely that it is that 'clever'?

Kind Regards, John

Ah, but can you imagine the daily mail headlines....

"Electricity company leaves grandmother to freeze"

"Electricity company leaves new mother without cooking and heating"
Yes, but apart from venal scumbag politicians, who GAS what the venal scumbag Daily Bile thinks about anything?

I had no problems viewing it with Firefox.

I have never had any problems viewing PDF files with Firefox.

I had no problems viewing it with Firefox. I have never had any problems viewing PDF files with Firefox.
I can't believe it was only me who had a problem - it was the downloading that was the issue, not the 'viewing'. All three browsers hung up before completing the download. When that happened, Chrome showed me the first page (only), but IE and FF showed me nothing until I 'bullied' them into completing the download.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back