A Nice Looking Plug

Sponsored Links
Why would the go up in smoke - they are all reg'ed for sale aren't they.
Are you saying that this will go up in smoke
https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-...shed-stainless-steel-with-white-inserts/2162c
Turn of phrase.

I've a full set of decorative SS sockets in my house.

Every now and then, one of them will fail, be it a switch going or the socket itself.

I've a couple of spares on the shed which i canabalise for bits when it happens.

They don't make my sockets anymore.

Turn of phrase.

I've a full set of decorative SS sockets in my house.

Every now and then, one of them will fail, be it a switch going or the socket itself.

I've a couple of spares on the shed which i canabalise for bits when it happens.

They don't make my sockets anymore.
I see.

Sponsored Links
The dishwasher and the washing machine both fit on an end wall so I have a wall on 2 sides for each, they are as far back as they will go and in the case of the dishwasher still sticks out a little more than it should. Next to the dishwasher is a sink bowl cabinet with all its water connections - not a good place for a socket I would of thought. next to the washing machine is a 200mm spice draw cabinet without any space at the back and wouldn't be that accessible trying to reach to the back of a 200mm wide unit. Next to that is a 900mm wide range cooker.

The dishwasher is in the corner and directly above that is a socket which is where the kettle lives so all i need is a 10mm hole right in the corner of the work top hidden really by the kettle. Also its the same for the washing machine opposite a 10mm hole in the corner and we keep a block of kitchen knives there which hides that too.

So I just need a nice looking plug which does not seem to exist.

Next to the dishwasher is a sink bowl cabinet with all its water connections - not a good place for a socket I would of thought.
Perfectly acceptable.
would have thought.

next to the washing machine is a 200mm spice draw cabinet without any space at the back and wouldn't be that accessible trying to reach to the back of a 200mm wide unit. Next to that is a 900mm wide range cooker.
Is there no space underneath? No kickboard?

The dishwasher is in the corner and directly above that is a socket which is where the kettle lives so all i need is a 10mm hole right in the corner of the work top hidden really by the kettle. Also its the same for the washing machine opposite a 10mm hole in the corner and we keep a block of kitchen knives there which hides that too.
No, no, no, no, no.

So I just need a nice looking plug which does not seem to exist.
I am amazed that you are worried about what a plug (which should be out of sight underneath) looks like and yet are happy with holes in the worktop.

Is there no space underneath? No kickboard?
Yes there is. I saw a post about this where someone was asking if it was ok what their fitter had done and he had loose sockets under in surface mount boxes, which was a whole other debate about allowed or not.
The other thing is if we ar going away for a few days we like to turn them off at the socket.

I am amazed that you are worried about what a plug (which should be out of sight underneath) looks like and yet are happy with holes in the worktop.
I know -- right.
But the hole itself will be out of sight. Hidden behind the kettle and knife block.

Why would the go up in smoke - they are all reg'ed for sale aren't they.
Some are more likely to go up in smoke than others are.
Some of use who use stuff proffesionaly tend to have preferences.
We do not all have the same actuall preferences - like everyone else we can become biased by personal experience and hearsay amongst our peers.
but you will gen find some concensus of likes and dislikes too

Some are more likely to go up in smoke than others are.
Some of use who use stuff proffesionaly tend to have preferences.
We do not all have the same actuall preferences - like everyone else we can become biased by personal experience and hearsay amongst our peers.
but you will gen find some concensus of likes and dislikes too
Thanks, can you recommend me a brushed stainless steel double socket please.

But the hole itself will be out of sight. Hidden behind the kettle and knife block.
Well, I`d say, if it`s hidden and you are happy with it then it will certainly be the most practical solution for you as things are and don`t change much.
I have actually done that for a few people in certain circumstances. Horses courses etc

I know -- right. ... But the hole itself will be out of sight. Hidden behind the kettle and knife block.
... but both of those things are very moveable, and presumably frequently moved, aren't they? Would you have to instruct anyone who gets near them to be very careful to put them back in exactly the right positions to hide the hole?

I, personally, can sometimes get quite concerned about aesthetic matters, and realise that some people are more passionate about such matters than I am, but I have to say that, on this occasion, I do share EFLI';s 'amazement' :)

Kind Regards, John

... but both of those things are very moveable, and presumably frequently moved, aren't they? Would you have to instruct anyone who gets near them to be very careful to put them back in exactly the right positions to hide the hole?

I, personally, can sometimes get quite concerned about aesthetic matters, and realise that some people are more passionate about such matters than I am, but I have to say that, on this occasion, I do share EFLI';s 'amazement' :)

Kind Regards, John
The knife block stays there not moved - same for the kettle it sits on its base but does get picked up to uses I suppose but the plug is totally visible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back