A Professional Installation...

Sponsored Links
Did it deform the cable though, do you think.
I'm not sure what you mean. If one puts T+E through a standard stuffing gland, the tighter one does it up, the more it changes from flat to round (externally) - but I have no reason to believe that any of the conductors, or their insulation, has suffered significantly as a result.
... and in most cases drill a drain hole as in the real world water nearly always gets in somehow. Ive found many faults where the water has been sealed in by the overzealous glands and gaskets
Indeed so. I'm a great believer in drain holes rather than attempts (rarely successful!) at 'totally waterproofing'!

Kind Regards, John

EDIT ... Missed your post john ... In the past its been condemned here, though ive seen round cable strangled by overtightening
Yes, but as I've just written, have you ever seen or heard of a case in which this 'strangling has significantly harmed the conductors and/or their insulation? If you compress T+E sufficiently brutally with a metal tool (or vice, as I once saw demonstrated!) then it is possible to push the conductor through it's insulation, but I don't think you'd ever achieve that, or anything like it, when tightening through a 'rubber bung'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
It gave it a little squeeze, but nothing I would be too worried about. No more deformed than when you have to put a right angle (ish) bend in it when clipping.

I also think it's better than a grommet, which does next to nothing in a clean plastic hole anyway

Your right john, I quess its rare for a gland
However on a similar vane we do superstores and FP is often shoddily run in across floors and ive found cables, where run over by pump trucks the earth has took off the live or neutral insulation, shorted, tripped RCDS blown up even, yet outer sheath undamaged though squashed.
I assume its made worse as unlike T+E single core earth, FP has stranded earth and I quess acts like a Rasp File literally wearing through the inner insulation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back