A Professional Installation...

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Anyhow, before this topic gets locked (!), I was going to ask about cts glands for twin and earth. I don't even think I've seen one.

Are they readily available?

Sponsored Links
Hmm. Anyhow, before this topic gets locked (!), I was going to ask about cts glands for twin and earth. I don't even think I've seen one.

Are they readily available?

Tlc sell them off the shelf too, they are quite dear compared with normal ones, however Im sure ive seen the rubber inserts sold on there own somewhere so might be cheaper to git them and fit in standard round glands

Should one worry too much though about using standard stuffing glands on twin and earth when used on on the underneath of a box outside?

At worst (and best) it could be classed as a drainage hole.

Should one worry too much though about using standard stuffing glands on twin and earth when used on on the underneath of a box outside? At worst (and best) it could be classed as a drainage hole.
I suppose only you can decide whether you want to worry, but I'm sure it's been done millions of times!

Kind Regards, John

I would quess that SS was refering to the swa Gland (singular) not being waterproof, how he knew ive no idea, though saying that the right gland uses Round earth wire.

The white glands are waterproof and look as if they have rubber washers on to, though not really neccesary underneath, its the choice of cable in one of them them that could to some, be wrong

I would quess that SS was refering to the swa Gland (singular) not being waterproof, how he knew ive no idea, though saying that the right gland uses Round earth wire.
I thought we were talking about whether 'one needed to worry' about putting T+E through a round hole (in a standard stuffing gland rubber insert) rather than through an 'oval hole' in a special 'T+E insert'?

Kind Regards, John

Your right we are but i assumed it was SSparks initial comment about waterproof that instigated it.

Though I think SS is bing picky as when we joined the trade only round glands existed apart from LTC (lead to conduit) glands that evolved to Pvc T+E glands and no way were they watertight, followed by brass round stuffing glands then elkay 251 nylon glands with a nylon pyro type shrouds.

Afaik theres never been outside T+E glands, I assume as thats not the cables intended use.

Most of the trade are unaware the oval rubber glands exist.

personally i dont think that a standard gland rubber would deform a T+E much at all if done hand tight and id prefer see that than no gland at all.
I used the tlc oval ones at home indoors but felt I wasted my money, too be honest.

I've used standard glands on T+E indoors, good for strain relief, but thats about it.
I would imagine that we have 'all' done that, probably very often! I wouldn't trust it to be waterproof, though.

Kind Regards, John

personally i dont think that a standard gland rubber would deform a T+E much at all if done hand tight and id prefer see that than no gland at all.
If you do them up pretty tight, they can 'deform' (make more round) T+E - but I'm not sure that I see that (within reason!) as a problem and, indeed, it will improve the 'seal'.

Kind Regards, John

Did it deform the cable though, do you think.

To be honest I feel thats good enough, I dont recall ever drilling a gland hole were ive needed Total waterproofing, I drill Side or bottom, NEVER top and if not possible then use an even bigger box and in most cases drill a drain hole as in the real world water nearly always gets in somehow.

Ive found many faults where the water has been sealed in by the overzealous glands and gaskets

EDIT
Missed your post john
In the past its been condemned here, though ive seen round cable strangled by overtightening

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back