A puzzle for you to ponder

whats hard is remembering the answers to them as they have been around for ages i can remember them from schooldays but like jokes you tend to forget them.

Sponsored Links
TexMex said:
Here's a similar one.
You have 10 bags of identical looking gold coloured coins. There are 10 coins in each bag. One of the bags contains real gold coins, while the other nine bags each contain fakes. The fake coins each weigh 1 gram exactly, whereas the real gold coins weigh 1.01 grams. You have a very accurate scale that will measure to the nearest hundredth of a gram. You may only use the scale to weigh one bag of coins. How do you find a genuine coin?
It should state that you can only use the scales once otherwise you just test all the bags one at a time to find the heaviest.

jtaunton said:
I guess that as he can see four black-labels, he knows that the sticker man is lying.

What are you two talking about, there are only 3 men wearing stickers aren't there?

kendor said:
It should state that you can only use the scales once otherwise you just test all the bags one at a time to find the heaviest.

Could you take one coin from each bag and put them in one bag. You put that bag on the scales and one by one take coins out until the scales drop by 1.01g?

Sponsored Links
petewood said:
jtaunton said:
I guess that as he can see four black-labels, he knows that the sticker man is lying.

What are you two talking about, there are only 3 men wearing stickers aren't there?
there are four men, the governor is a man isn't he? ;)

TexMex said:
Each prisoner gets a sticky label put on his head.
The labels are numbered with the powers of two (ie. 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64,128,256 etc..

Each bottle gets a sticky label starting from 1 through to 10000

looking at the binary representation of the bottle number you can decide which prisoners are forcefed doses of the bottle in question.

Once the poison has taken effect, you simply add up the values of the dead prisoners labels, to deduce the bottle number that is contaminated.

BINGO! Tex has got it.

petewood said:
jtaunton said:

Sorry - I'm talking rubbish on this one - I didn't read the question properly

And don't know the answer either. :oops: :oops: :oops:

For the benefit of Petewood, here is the solution to the Three Black Labels problem.

If you don't want to know, CLOSE THIS WINDOW NOW!!!

You are Tom and the other two are Dick and Harry (or, if you prefer, you are Tammy and the other two are Dot and Hairy). Think what would happen if you had a white label on your head. D and H can see this. D quickly realizes that (s)he must have a black label or else H would have called out immediately. In the same way, H knows that his/her label must be black because D has said nothing.

Since neither D nor H have said anything you know that either one of them is stupid (or playing a very clever double bluff) or else your original hypothesis must be wrong. The most likely answer is that you have a black label.

Would you rather a crocodile attack you or an alligator?

A cowboy rides into town on Monday, stays six days and leaves on Friday How's this possible?

Name an ancient invention, which is still used in some parts of the world today, that allows people to see through walls.

What can this be?

What always weighs the same no matter how large it is?

What tv programme is this? GR304.8mmAVE

One for the mathmeticians: Given five zeroes, using any mathematical operations, can you make a total of 120?

Being a bit of a farmer's lad and having an old memory that factorial 0 = 1 or Fact(0)=1 or even 0!=1 ....
Then I propose, before retiring to the 'Plough' ...

( 0! + 0! + 0! + 0! + 0! ) ! => 5! => 5x4x3x2x1 = 120

Oh ahr !!

;)

kendor said:
Methinks that's "One foot in the grave"! Had no idea where to start with the maths one though!

kendor said:
Would you rather a crocodile attack you or an alligator?

Spoilers below

I would rather the crocodile attack the aligator

and the cowboys horse is called Friday

kendor said:
Name an ancient invention, which is still used in some parts of the world today, that allows people to see through walls.

What can this be?

What always weighs the same no matter how large it is?

One for the mathmeticians: Given five zeroes, using any mathematical operations, can you make a total of 120?

First one is a window, right?

GR304.8mmAVE: 304.8mm = 12 inches; GR FOOT AVE

So I am guessing "one foot in the grave"? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back