A puzzle for you to ponder

Sponsored Links
Nah, can't be a balloon. I originally thought "balloon", but of course the air inside it has mass too. :p

I think it must be a tonne (or any unit of mass), a tonne of feathers is bigger than a tonne of lead but they weigh the same.

Sponsored Links
Nothing ?

Bit like the old "What can a blind man see and a deaf man hear ?", though I may have given that one away.

Anyways - 7 costs 5p, 62 costs 10p and 217 costs 15p. What are they ??

Anyways - 7 costs 5p, 62 costs 10p and 217 costs 15p. What are they ??
Could that be door numbers (you pay 5p for each digit take them home and screw them to the front door).

Anyhows, the answer to the gold coins is:

number all of the bags (0 to 9 inclusive)
get an empty bag, and put in one coin from bag number 1, 2 coins from bag number 2 etc..
you should now have a bag with 45 coins. Put this bag on the scales.
ignore the 45 grams and just look at the hundredths figure. this will be the bag number of the real gold coins.

Here's another one.
If your faith is Church of England, and you are marrying your own sister, what should you wear for the service?

The Vicar's kit - special from Tesco in a carrier bag, dog's, bible, robe --£13-50 ic VAT.
:D :D :D :D

The factorial one was buried in the subconcious, stemmed from talking with race gamblers and soccer pools punters yonks ago..
Combinations !! BTW pools 'perms' incorrectly named !!

How do you calculate any 4 selections taken together from 7 selections ?

( 7x6x5x4 ) / ( 4x3x2x1 ) this becomes generalised 7! / (4! x ( 7 - 4 )!)
= 35 bets

Hence soccer pools any 8 from 12 = 12 ! / ( 8! x ( 12 - 8 ) ! )
=> 479,001,600 / ( 40,320 x 24 ) => 479,001,600 / 967,680
The result being 495 combinations of any 8 from 12.
ie pools 'treble chance' mark 12 x's in a column if any 8 are score draws then guaranteed to have min one line scoring 8 x 3 = 24 pts hence jackpot or share of, plus minor dividends
Suddenly realised p'raps no one knows about pools etc -- today.

Mis-spent yoof !!
;)

kendor said:
Pip got it , Weighing Scales

Well that assumes every set of scales everywhere are calibrated and that I don't believe. You want to compare actual weights of street produce you can get down Ladbroke Grove, believe me they vary considerably.

They ain't scales then - simple... I think !
A relly lived at LG once, had a flat which overlooked the railway, where a big accident occurred I believe ...
:cry: :cry:

keyplayer said:
kendor said:
Pip got it , Weighing Scales

Well that assumes every set of scales everywhere are calibrated and that I don't believe. You want to compare actual weights of street produce you can get down Ladbroke Grove, believe me they vary considerably.
don't have to be calibrated, it's the twist on the words in that they all weigh the same way you put something on them and they tell you it's weight

Sponsored Links
Back