A quick fix for a numpty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi all. Trying to help my old dear out with what looks to be an old phone (master) socket.

Can someone help out with the wiring please? All the guides I've found online have 6 wires and a very different colour scheme.

I should mention it has previously been working but there was an issue a few days ago that left her without a dial tone so I'm trying to make sure the equipment in the house is ticking over whilst openreach investigate issues outside the property.

Thanks in advance. Gareth.

Sponsored Links
It ought to just be orange to number 2 and white to number 5, but, the engineer who fitted it decades ago was free to swap the polarity, or even use the other pair if they wanted. You'd have to climb the pole outside to check!!

Try that first and see if it works. If not, I hope you have a multimeter?

That worked a treat. Thank you for your help man. Sorry for the delay I've been packing up to move house, working 12 hour shifts and trying to fit sleep in somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the feedback.

The two unused wires that have been unnecessarily stripped, snip off the bare conductors (don't shorten the the rest of the wire) and wrap them both round your finger into a nice neat little coil and stuff it into the back box. This will give the illusion that BT did it, rather than a DIY-er, because technically no-one is supposed to meddle with the master socket and it's wiring, they belong to BT. If there was a fault on the line in the future and a BT engineer saw it, you could be charged for the fault, even if it was actually BT's fault on the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back