A quiet heater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I require a heater that makes almost no noise.

I have recently tried an oil radiator. Yes, they are mostly quiet during operation but when they are cooling down (in-between thermostat switching on/off), during expansion and contraction of metal, they can produce 60-75db of noise in a sudden startling CLINK!

Does anyone know of a heater with no hum of electricity, no fans and no expansion/contraction clinks?

Sponsored Links
Simply find something which doesn't expand when it heats .......:p

I'd think with anything more than a light bulb, noise is down to luck.

I've never known an oil-filled radiator to make a noise as it cools down.

Sponsored Links

I've got two. The ancient Dimplex one from The 60s is silent. The modern Delonghi Dragon has several external seperate metal pressings attached inc. covers, and on middle or high settings they click quite loudly. The clicking is really bad when the stat cuts power and it starts to cool a bit. No good in a bedroom.

Last edited:
I've got two. The ancient Dimplex one from The 60s is silent. The modern Delonghi Dragon has several external seperate metal pressings attached inc. covers, and on middle or high settings they click quite loudly. The clicking is really bad when the stat cuts power and it starts to cool a bit. No good in a bedroom.

The Delonghi Dragon is the precise model I have and you have described it well.

I am returning it and replacing with an oil radiator that has no external metal cladding.

You'd think Delonghi would know better. I found that the higher the thermostat was set at, the louder the clinking sound was, regardless of low, medium or high setting.

A sudden 73dB clink is enough to make anyone jump out their skin whether in the bedroom or any room for that matter - totally unacceptable!

The Delonghi Dragon is the precise model I have and you have described it well.

I am returning it and replacing with an oil radiator that has no external metal cladding.

You'd think Delonghi would know better. I found that the higher the thermostat was set at, the louder the clinking sound was, regardless of low, medium or high setting.

A sudden 73dB clink is enough to make anyone jump out their skin whether in the bedroom or any room for that matter - totally unacceptable!

Yes, the Delonghi is badly designed. It's not unusual for heaters/rads to click slightly, but this is really loud. It's definitely the attached covers catching on the main body of heater as it expands and contracts.

Bizarre that Dimplex could get it right over 50 years ago, but Delonghi can't.

Whatever you do don't get seduced by adverts for 'super efficient' ceramic magic heater radiators costing hundreds of pounds. They are no more efficient than a ten quid fan heater. Just saying.

Fan heaters, I remember these noisy things in my student days. They were cheap and kept me warm alright.

Today when buying a heater, I am paying for its silence too as well as its heat.

I ordered a Russel Hobbs oil radiator that has just the fins - no cladding.

I'll report back how it 'sounds'.

Mine does a little, but if it is noisy just try a different brand. Read the reviews.

Does the size of the oil-filled radiator affect how much noise it makes during the clinking of expansion and contraction?

Noise tends to be surfaces moving in relation to others, so a big panel with 2 welded faces a mile long won't make a noise except where it judders through friction
if you can lubricate or isolate materials moving differently, it will be fairly frictionless so noise free
the clicks or bangs are the energy needed to move and break the friction bond between materials

I require a heater that makes almost no noise.

I have recently tried an oil radiator. Yes, they are mostly quiet during operation but when they are cooling down (in-between thermostat switching on/off), during expansion and contraction of metal, they can produce 60-75db of noise in a sudden startling CLINK!

Does anyone know of a heater with no hum of electricity, no fans and no expansion/contraction clinks?
Why do you require such absolute silence ?

I too detest electric fan heaters, even the quiet ones become very irritating after a while. But find things such as the tradition radiant electric bar heaters OK (electric hum is fairly minimal (if even audible) and I could also easily cope with a little clicking from the oil filled type radiators.

I would guess all heaters will make some noise (apart from the sun). Tradional wet central heating will make some noise as the radiators heat up and cool down, even my beloved log fire will make cracks and pops, and roars a little when burning well, but those noises are very random and as such welcome. But indeed, an electric fan heater with that constant noise is a big no no from me. (except in a car or van when the noise is drowned out by road and engine noise)

I bet these are silent, unless there's a clicking thermostat somewhere.
They'd be efficient for keeping you, rather than the room warm, too.
There are many variations of course.

The Russell Hobbs oil radiator just clinked as much as the Delonghi one, so that's been returned.

How about mica heaters? They have no moving parts, just electricity passed through this 'mica' compound. Anyone know anything about them?

Sponsored Links
Back