A quote for my mate SOFTUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happyskyper I get the impression you expect tradesman to pay you for the pleasure of letting them do the job. A reality check is in order I think and anybody who works for you will be very unlikely to do so more than once with your petty attitude. Stop wingeing about people trying to put food in their kids mouths and pay the bills. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
support, but only so far.
i agree with a lot of the sentiment but the reality is different.
your sort of ideas will never happen because of the attitudes of people as shown here.

you asked a question and they ganged up on you. i dont like that but im sure you're not that bothered either way and can look after yourself.
i chipped in because of the rubbish technical arguments given.
you see these sorts all the time on sites. they know all the answers or so they think. any subject from women to football
they cannot seem to understand the idea that just because they think' it is so' doesnt make it so.

when something didnt suit, one of them involved my mrs :rolleyes: now that really is quite sad.
i shall continue to raise the blood pressure of the oppressed plumber breed because they are big enough, and certainly' oogly enough, to take it.

reread that thread and you can see the gobby ones have their knees chopped away by the decent reasonable people. good and bad in all things i suppose :)

good luck to you but i do fear you are wasting your time, most will not take on the concept' of what you are saying. so entrenched are their views.
(the supply and demand of a recession will help change that methink).
it does make me laugh when you make a statement and they try and turn it into something else.

not fighting your battles for you but the same types that will complain about yob culture and alike, are happy to gang up on someone with a different idea to themselves(jeez, im doing it now :oops: )

they cannot seem to understand the idea that just because they think' it is so' doesnt make it so.

You and your new mates posts are full of generalisations and assumptions which read like the ramblings of idiots.
Perhaps the above quote applies to you more than most.

Happyskyper, four years ago, I had an extension built which included the fitting of a new boiler which hadn't formed part of the original estimate. Now I could have gone and purchased the new boiler myself for £600+ and asked the plumber to fit it, since it was he who said that it needed replacing. However, that would be cheating him out of his legitimate profit since the RRP was in excess of £900. He charged me an extra £100 for the buying of the new boiler but nothing for fitting as the old one was to be relocated anyway as was therefore part of the original estimate.

With a wife and two kids to keep, that plumber was not a registered charity and neither are the other tradesmen who contribute to this forum. If I was a plumber and you called me in to quote for the completion of work that you had started, I wouldn't give your proposal a second thought. However, I know someone who might - your knight in shining armour - AtoZ

PS I am not a tradesman!

Sponsored Links
When i go to a restaurant and take my own bottle of wine, why do they charge such an exorbitant amount for corkage?

I will yet again try to explain to those who dont seem to appreciate quite what the problem is.
there are various catagories of tradesmen.

in this instance "the plumber"

a}he may work for a firm.

b}he may be self employed, n which case he works as a sub contractor working for a contractor.

c}then theres the sole trader, he works tryng to run a business, that means he takes on a job, seeing it through from start to finish, he surveys it, quantfies materals, prices the job and bis for it.

if he gets the job then he stands by the quote as a contract.

a}&b} are busy and might decide to moonlight but neither have sole rgi tickects so any gas work they do is illegal even though they are qualified.

c} is a business man who as described works in a particular way, a choice of his makinG
he isnt for hire as a casual, "come and fit the boiler wot i just bort off ebay or my mate down the pub." sittinging around with nothing better to do than wait for a job like yours to drop in his lap.
he has a business to run.

take a look at this please, it shows what happens when some smart ass thinks they know how to run the job better, some might learn something.

WHATCH THIS FOR CHRIST'S SAKE

why do they charge such an exorbitant amount for corkage?

Two reasons:

1. They can
2. They are losing out on the profit on a bottle of their own plonk.

It amazes me that the intelligent people on this forum can't see that this idiot is on a wind up mission. He must be laughing his head off. He makes a facile comment/s and you all take the bait.

There are two very clear cut choices with this guy. He is either retarded or a wind up merchant. Make up your own mind.

the clincher is...

... he is a deluded pinko.

225 quid which I think is very decent.. 175 quid saving on the previous lowest quote, 625 quid saving on the previous highest quote and 375 quid saving on the average of previous quotes.

If the job is spot on I will give the guy an extra 50 quid.

You obviously know that cheapest definiitely isn't always the best although I don't think you will have even considered that fact....

How very kind of you to give the guy an extra £50.00, whats the betting that the job will not be 'spot on' when it's been given your most thorough inspection ?
I would give it you back because I would just be so relieved to get away from you and your job, I bet you would be standing there with the manufacturers instructions in your hand looking over the plumbers shoulder telling him where he is going wrong.....definitely would be giving you a wide berth, or a sky high price, maybe thats what it is, the quotes you've been getting reflect the way you are coming across to the tradesmen who have quoted, another rogue customer who wants everything doing for next to nothing :evil:

When you have plumbing and heating guys telling you how and when to post your letters , then maybe you can start telling us small business owners how to run our affairs. :rolleyes:

lots of plumbers have been telling him how to post his letters... read the thread..

cheapest isnt always best...... so you dont use the cheapest supplier?
ok, maybe you dont always do that but that only because you dont pay for materials, the customer does! :oops:

cheapest isnt always best :rolleyes: cos it takes a brain surgeon to spin on a union and plug in a boiler :oops: a brain surgeon could do it, same as a dustman a soldier or a convict.

you are nothing special!!! get over yourself.

happy wants utopia (ask the electrician ;)) but you have the option not to do the job! exercise that right and dont do it!

happy, you are wasting your time!
some of these lads can see your point but they dare not admit it.
most can just about breath in and out because they are so dim.

go to a college course for trainees, you will be shocked that after 12 yrs at school, they still so poor.
so much for the elite!

yeah yeah!
my turn now :rolleyes:

heard it all before........... and it was just as boring then!

amazing how all the plumbers seem to 'struggle' to make ends meet!
why is that i wonder... der rrrrrrrrr

:rolleyes:

I have read the thread and nobody told him how to post letters, you read the thread.

So you dont agree that cheapest isn't always the best then? I was talking about getting a cheap job done not using a cheap supplier and you know that, what do you expect us to do then, stand the cost of the parts as well?

Well so what if a brain surgeon or dustman can do it, thats not the point, if only it was spinning on a union and plugging it in, you obviously haven't a clue, and who said anything about being special, my customer base and repeat work speak for themselves, thats all the special I need.

What point is it that you say we can see? There is no point, the only point is that Happy and you think you know what a 'fair' price is and if it happens to be higher than what you think it should be then all us plumbers are seen as being on the make or overcharging.

The OP started the original thread with the wrong attitude towards plumbers in general, stated what he was willing to pay for the work and worse than that stated how long the job would take the lucky plumber to do the work, he didn't just politely ask as you keep saying, if you give out attitude then you get it back.
When I get a customer like that I am usually not interested as I don't need the work that desperately to be told how long my job should take me and how much they would like to pay me for doing it, it's not a marketplace where you haggle for the best price, at least with me it's not, I give the price, if you don't like it then I don't do it and you find somebody else, no whingeing from my part, too busy for that. As for elite, I have only seen you using that word, nobody claimed to be elite, just trying to make a living.
Why not let us know what your trade is, so we can rubbish you and the work you do, I think your just jealous, and always wanted to be a plumber but just couldn't make the grade :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: keep trying, you never know

four years ago, I had an extension built which included the fitting of a new boiler which hadn't formed part of the original estimate. Now I could have gone and purchased the new boiler myself for £600+ and asked the plumber to fit it, since it was he who said that it needed replacing. However, that would be cheating him out of his legitimate profit since the RRP was in excess of £900. He charged me an extra £100 for the buying of the new boiler but nothing for fitting as the old one was to be relocated anyway as was therefore part of the original estimate.

With a wife and two kids to keep, that plumber was not a registered charity

Not trying to pick sides in this argument, and only aiming this reply at this particular example.

Of course the plumber is not a charity, he has agreed to carry out work for you, for an agreed price. It can be assumed that he has priced the job taking into account the fact they he has to feed his wife and kids with the money earned from doing said work.

If he had a wife and a mistress, and four kids, would you be happy for him to have charged you an extra £200?
Are you suggesting that were he single with no kids, that he should work at a reduced rate or do stuff for free?

Installation of the new boiler hasn't added to the job, seeing as he would've had to fit the recently uninstalled boiler anyway.

OOI, do you know how much he paid for the boiler? If the RRP was over £900, how could you have purchased it for almost £300 cheaper, being that you are not a tradesman?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back