A quote for my mate SOFTUS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello SOFTUS!

I couldnt put a post on the earlier thread (please help me CORGI) that I started because someone locked the post despite the fact that it proved to be rather popular reading.

Perhaps it raised some issues that some people would rather see "lost" amongst all the bumf? I was so determined to keep the posting close to the top but it seems no one values the freedom of speech nowdays, we might as well be in CUBA.
Without further digression I would like to ask SOFTUS on your convictions regarding the origins of EXPRESSION "SOMETHING IS ROTTEN IN DENMARK!"

I have it like this but please correct me if I am wrong. I have no doubt you would love to.

The story is "Hamlet." Act I, Scene 4: Marcellus (an officer) says "Something is rotten in the state of Denmark," having just seen the ghost of Hamlet's father, the late king of Denmark.

The phrase means "things are unsatisfactory; there is something wrong."
It is often (mis)quoted "There is something rotten in (the state of) Denmark."

"The good Dr. Gerard did not explain?" Sarah said, frowning:
"I don't understand Dr. Gerard. He seems to think --"
"That there is something rotten in the state of Denmark," quoted Poirot. (Agatha Christie, _Appointment with Death_, 1938)

Surely you are not basing your argument on just the deliberately omitted part (the state of)?! If so then the rest of your arguments in the previous post are on shaky grounds too, especially the one that mentions the boiler box (it is available for inspection and it is in pristine condition). The rest is all water under the bridge.

I also feel compelled to defend my opinion that trades people whould not mark up materials for extra income. I mentioned that it was wrong morally to which you replied that indeed it would be if it was a charity..

I will pose one more question to you and your pack of wolves.

Do you think all business should be granted absolute freedom to do as they please or should there be some regulation as to how they are conducted..ie a code of conduct??

My understanding is that all businesses are required to follow a code of conduct. This code is often a self policing code of conduct which in turn allows people to do what they like and parade around shamelessly as some entrepreneur gurus.

Sponsored Links
The rantings of someone who clearly has no idea how to run a business.

I have no doubt that the keen use of the word ******* will allow the same people who have shut the earlier thread to do the same to this one.

You can rule the world if you have the right excuse.

please be a little more inventive and offer an explanation in the form that this has nothing to do with the forum's topical issues. That would do it!

So all the trades people who charge their customers mark up prices for the materials on top of charging them over the odds for the work are nothing more but precisely that. *******

So where does that put British Gas?

i subcontract to them, when a part is obtained by (L)ocal (P)urchase (O)rder the screen asks me for the part cost which I input. It then charges the part out at a considerable mark up. I don't recall what the markup is and i can't run a dummy scenario to find out but it's more than 20%.

Furthermore Both BG and the manufacturers charge more for their labour than most individuals so by your standard of measure there they are also more guilty.

finally manufacturers mark up the sale of parts compared to their purchase price so they too are high on your hit list.

Your logic is from the kindergarten.

Sponsored Links
the postman wants everyone on the national minimum wage of £5.73 and trade discount on all materials.

its only fairness and transparency he's after.

So where does that put British Gas?

i subcontract to them, when a part is obtained by (L)ocal (P)urchase (O)rder the screen asks me for the part cost which I input. It then charges the part out at a considerable mark up. I don't recall what the markup is and i can't run a dummy scenario to find out but it's more than 20%.

Hi Paul, why does it do that when the customers are on conracts, or are you working on installs?

Must admit I am quite surprised to learn that all suppliers bar domestic trades supply parts a cost though.

As Softus pointed out before skyper Tesco's or any other supermarket wouldn't be in business too long if they didn't add a mark up price to the goods they purchase from suppliers.

Do you expect them to work as a charity funded by handouts or the taxpayer?

I also feel compelled to defend my opinion that trades people whould not mark up materials

and your alternative suggestion is.............?

tradespeople are given discount, they are merely passing on the actual cost.

well apart from the greedy ones of course.

ollski wrote

Must admit I am quite surprised to learn that all suppliers bar domestic trades supply parts a cost though

Who do you mean by "all suppliers" ollski?

Happyskyper, I think that when softus said you were wrong about that quote it was because you had misquoted (as you have now said) so in fact when you said it was a quote from Shakespeare you were wrong ;)

aah ok! that would be that then pettylad..I mean mattylad..

The difference between all the businesses you have mentioned (well for starters they employ thousands of people who need a wage at the end of the month to support their families) and our hypothetical "KEV and SON TREV" establishmetn is that their business is manufacturing, buying and selling products and supplying those to the public whereas our Kev and Trev's business is paying themselves a wage and solely working with their hands (of course engaging brains would be of tangible benefit too) and they are hired to mend/fix/install/test..

However I concede that supplying materials at a premium could be considered justified if they made this clear and precise to their customers. That would satisfy the moral standpoint and the code of conduct requirements I mentioned. They usually dont.

I am sure you have all seen the bank adverts on TV where the fat bloke is hooking unsuspecting customers with a one off hooking rate... you get the gist.

Minimum wage for all would not be good for myriad of reasons. It certainly wouldnt do anything to create a better society for which we are all striving I am sure. Another topic/ another forum/ another day/ another crowd.

Finally since everyone is so keen to educate me and put me in my place I would be genuinely interested to know how many of you traders belong to an UNION.. How does that work for you and if you think there is something that can be done better/ fairer where your interests are concerned?

Paul I am well aware that the world is not perfect...

What BG and many others are doing is in my opinion bordering on criminal.

They have licence to charge what they like if I understand correctly?

You as a sub-contractor put in a price you like on your LPO. They then charge a customer what they like. No one ask any questions and if they do there is a process to deal with individuals like that (gang up on them on the forum :LOL: ) and final result is that everyone is happy. The wheels keep on turning. If **** ever hits the fan we have the government which will bail out businesses on the taxpayer's expense proclaiming how capitalism really does work... What a wonderful life as long as you are not the customer or the taxpayer?! Unfortunately I AM BOTH.

Rogue,

I or any other full can get the same trade discounts from suppliers as you...

That also makes it morally wrong to try and stiff someone...

Like I said before make it known that it is your time that you are using to order materials and you use such and such a supplier and will be charging 10% on top and everyone should be happy.. thats fair and transparent..

If the customer wants to use his own supplier then ask him:" How long is a piece of string?" and inform him that you only supply and fit! :D :D

Happy days

I also feel compelled to defend my opinion that trades people whould not mark up materials for extra income. I mentioned that it was wrong morally to which you replied that indeed it would be if it was a charity.

Have you just arrived from some far distant galaxy?

Anything that anyone buys on this planet has a mark up and the mark up depends on what the person/company buying the goods is prepared to accept - its a very simple fact of life on earth.

If your feeling peeved because some motor mechanic has ripped you off and your spaceship still does'nt work - that also happens to everyone and is another simple fact of life on earth.

Get real or go home - you're not ET are you?

I also feel compelled to defend my opinion that trades people whould not mark up materials for extra income. I mentioned that it was wrong morally to which you replied that indeed it would be if it was a charity.

There coming to take him away hahah...

Worrying isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back