A self steering Corsa!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now here's a new one on me.....a 51 plate Corsa has come in having failed its MOT. Pulling to the left is the issue.
However, its not a tracking, tyre or suspension problem but one caused by the steering column itself (electric power steering).
The PAS module is getting a signal from the column position sensors to instruct it to turn gently left. Its easy enough to counteract this by gently pulling the wheel to the right, but after a second or two the car thinks that you want to actually turn right so it shoots off over the road....well scary! :eek:
I am completely out of my depth here so its off to Mr. Vauxhall tomorrow. A new column is £800 :p
If anyone knows about these, I'm all ears!
Cheers and good evening
John :)

Sponsored Links
I'm in touch with BBA- Reman and they reckon they can supply an EPS pump which sort it (£275).
Still out of me depth though :p

I'm not familiar with the system, but its likely to have a steering angle sensor on the column somewhere. If, as suggested, this isn't showing "straight ahead" when the car is actually going straight ahead, I guess it might cause the sort of problem you're having? Sometimes, if a wheel gets a knock and puts the tracking out, I wonder if it's possible to correct the tracking and then straighten the wheel on its spline without the column being in the straight ahead position. Could that have happened?

Also, would a main dealer have any diagnostic equipment? Smart ar5ed systems like those often have their own fault code storing mechanism in the ECU, maybe they could (for suitable remuneration!) at least carry out the diagnosis?

Sponsored Links
Could you can uncouple the steering and reconnect it in what it thinks is the straight ahead position - or would that give you more lock one side?

Modern cars :confused: :( :cry:

Peter

Greetings Avocet and Peter :D
The wheel and column on this thing is actually pointing the way it should, no sign of any interference or tampering.
Anyway, the problem seems to have sorted itself as the owner has 'found a new column in a scrappy' and the garage who failed her MOT for her reckon they will fit it, so over to them....nothing was mentioned about the ignition switch or airbag so I'll wish them luck.
I'm not disappointed to get rid of this one, but if there's some sort of outcome I'll post back.
I think its yet another case of a perfectly servicable vehicle with low mileage, heading for the wheely bin.

it's called planned obsolescence, make a thing so that is so expensive to repair, that it's not economical viable.

Wotan

The whole concept of flyby wire steering and throttle control is alien to me, I like solid connections.

Wotan

Is there any way to disable the EPS entirely and revert to manual?

(Certainly with PAS this was considered essential in case of failure - but not the case with fully hydraulic PS found on plant and agricultural machinery; but speeds on those are reduced)

I know you said the steering and tracking has been checked, but its worth checking the castor. This is something that can make the car pull to the left or right. Get this checked first as it will be very cheap to check.

Sponsored Links
Back