Abbreviation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed now most people on here are now writing in abbreviation or is this text messaging? I don't owned a mobile so I haven't clue what some of the abbreviation mean to me, done some search with no joy, is there a link to help me to understand the jardons?

Here one of them.

I'm guessing ATM...."At the moment" or is it "Association of Teachers of Mathematics because I thought it was ATM cash machine. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
NSU....moped---STD....telephone exchange-------NFG.........not very good :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Nige F said:
NSU....moped---STD....telephone exchange-------NFG.........not very good :rolleyes:

Blimey.... Sheltered life for some ...
STD - Sexually Transmitted Disease

NSU - Non-Specific-Urethitis
Leading to
NFG - Non-Functional Gear

:D :D

When I have to include a glossary in tech docs ( doubt anyone ever reads it) I like to include TLA

three letter acronym.

empip said:
Nowadays medical professionals say STI - Sexually Transmitted Infection as Disease implies that a person has noticeable symptons whereas an infection can have no noticeable symptoms.

empip said:
I say "Knob rot off some tart"

notb665 said:
empip said:
Nowadays medical professionals say STI - Sexually Transmitted Infection as Disease implies that a person has noticeable symptons whereas an infection can have no noticeable symptoms.

empip said:
I say "Knob rot off some tart"
Subscriber Trunk Dialling originally :LOL: NSU Quickly :rolleyes:

JohnD said:
When I have to include a glossary in tech docs ( doubt anyone ever reads it) I like to include TLA

three letter acronym.

When ever I see this, I like to remind the writer that "TLA" is not an acronym.

It's an abbreviation (an acronym has to spell a word or be pronounced like a word) :p TLA stands for "Three Letter Abbreviation", otherwise there is no joke about it ;)

Thinking about this, much of the "txt" speak is actually rooted in the internet. Obviously stupid ones like "wiv" instead of "with" were not conceived by cerebral internet types, rather by teenage girls with a Basildon facelift.

But such abbreviated terms as LOL, LMAO, ROFL, AFAIK, IIRC, and so forth were certainly used on the internet before the popularity of SMS. I can't say they weren't used elsewhere before that though!

notb665 said:

I've seen lots of different name changes within the speciality over the past 20 years! :LOL:
But the real reason why they changed the name from sexually transmitted diseases to sexually transmitted infections was in an attempt to reduce the stigma - this is the same reason they changed the clinic names from STC (special treatment clinics) to GUM (genito urinary medicine) clinics to sexual health clinics these days.......!!!!

Here's a few more abbreviations we use in sexual health for your interest - but how many do you know though!? ;) ;)

HPV
HSV
GNC
TV
LGV
BV
NGU
ED

HPV: Huge Pe*is, Violated by.
HSV: Huge Spirocetes eVerywhere!
GNC: Gooey Nob Crust
TV: Tiny Veg
LGV: Lovely Great Vehicle (an indication of a small pe*is ;) )
BV: Blue Veined
NGU: Not Going Up (brewer's droop)
ED: Ewwwww, Disgusting (from some of your tales, this comes up from time to time!)

i think every profession has its own abbreviations, we had masses in the police, but when you go to a different area or talk to a diffrent profession it gets confusing. some take longer to say than the actual words eg www is slower than world wide web.

what worries me though is things in text speak ie wiv and ur etc may creep into the language as an acceptable spelling.....NO!

Sponsored Links
Back