About five years ago

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
C

cumbriahandyman

I saw a police officer in this part of the world with a gatso. Until recently that was my only sighting.

In the last few days I have seen several of them all over the place, yesterday I drove past three of them in one hour.

Has anyone else noticed an increase?

Could the Government be looking at persecuting motorists once more as a way of increasing revenue?

Sponsored Links
Some towns have come the conclusion that speed cameras revenue does not get back into the towns traffic safety measures. They are also charged for the cameras, I think. So, the police now have to go out more to target areas in order to keep up the revenue. The best thing to do is don't speed so the police can get on to fighting crime, I think.

Some towns have come the conclusion that speed cameras revenue does not get back into the towns traffic safety measures. They are also charged for the cameras, I think. So, the police now have to go out more to target areas in order to keep up the revenue. The best thing to do is don't speed so the police can get on to fighting crime, I think.

I don't speed but I do worry that so much police time is being used to generate revenue for the Government. The police time would best be spent fighting crime rather than targeting the poor motorist.

Let's face it, the motorist has , and always will be a soft target for police forces up and down the country. They help crime figures. Whenever a motorist is stopped for speeding, the offence finds it's way into the figures as a solved crime.
IMHO some roads have unreasonably slow speed limits. There's one road near me which has wide grass verges and railings to protect pedestrians, yet the speed limit is 30mph. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Oh God please let's not start a thread about speeding. This is the worst forum on the planet to discuss such a thing :eek:

Plenty of Bobbies with hand held laser guns around the Midlands, always has been.

Best to keep it down and stay safe. :cool:

cumbriahandyman said: I don't speed.

Lou says:
Now, I find that very difficult to believe. Are you sure about that, if you are, then you cannot be a motorist. :!:

The majority of people are in favour of speed guns etc if they are used in the right place and target the right people.

speed cameras are not a form off revenue people breaking the law are though ;)

and before you ask i dont drive but if i did i would probably be a main contributor :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The council does not receive any revenue for these speed cameras but still they have to pay for them to be in place, hence why a certain council has decided to remove them

If the number of accidents in this council either stay on a level or decrease I can certainly see many other councils following suit

One particular time that I was doing 40MPH in a 30MPH, I had driven off one dual carriageway onto another dual carriageway and wrongly assumed it also was 40, so I continue to do 40MPH driving past a mobile police camera. Might I add this dual carriageway was very open and only someone with severe eyesight problems would cause an accident or run someone over whilst doing 40MPH

We call all agree that some if not most of the mobile speed cameras are placed in such areas where it will gain the most convictions

I worked for Cheshire Council a few years ago and one of my colleagues was a voluntary policeman at weekends, he said policeman are given a certain amount of tickets and a certain amount of time to give them all out, if on the last day of this period someone still has several left he can go to whatever position he wants to in order to get rid of them, this he said is to keep the government stats up so it looks like they are combating speeding but that's bullshit the more money the government can get from joe public the more duck ponds these politicians can buy for themselves

but again its fully in the hands off the motorist
you take your chance face up to the consequences when you get caught :D :D ;)

If you have seen an outbreak of hand-held speed cameras, it is likely that this is in response to local citizens complaining of speeding drivers.

Luckily speeding fines are optional, no-one is obliged to pay them. You just have to choose to observe speed limits instead.

but again its fully in the hands off the motorist
you take your chance face up to the consequences when you get caught :D :D ;)

I agree, if you don't speed then you wont get fined, but its not all as black and white as some motorists will make genuine mistakes and when I say mistakes I mean the non-accident kind or the kind that will never cause an accident, these I believe should never result in a conviction

This thread is not about speeding, it is about looking at whether there has been an increase in the number of gatso's being seen on the street in what could be a revenue collection exercise on behalf of the Government.

I can't think of any more fixed cameras popping up recently. The mobile units are quite often bobbing about. As for police using hand held guns I can't say I have seen any more than normal.

I saw a police officer in this part of the world with a gatso. Until recently that was my only sighting.

In the last few days I have seen several of them all over the place, yesterday I drove past three of them in one hour.

Has anyone else noticed an increase?

Could the Government be looking at persecuting motorists once more as a way of increasing revenue?

not seen one in 10 years?!!!!

Sponsored Links
Back